General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

window stops rooling upthen starts after relay cools down (98 firebird formula)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 07:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default window stops rooling upthen starts after relay cools down (98 firebird formula)

i just picked this car up and i had the windows down and when i went to put the windows up the driver stoped half way up and then i let it cool off and tryed it again and it went up another 3 or so inches and just kept repeting this untill the window was up. the passanger window doesent stop up or down ( but is slow like all fbodys). i just want to know if this is a relay issue or if it is the regulator, window track needs lubed up,a switch , or just the window motor. also does the passanger and driver windows use the same relay because when the driver stops the passanger will move up and down just as easy as before.

the way i see it it overheats the relay and once it shuts again or cools off it alows the window to continue up untill it gets to hot and over and over untill the window go's up.( havent actuily touched the relay to see if it was hot or anything but just from experiance thats what i beleave is happining)

Thanks alot for the help Nick

i would diag myself but i figure there has to be someone with the same problems before and i dont want to go and tear the door apart and replace the regulator/motor to findout i just needed to lube up the track or something.

PS: the seller told me he drove the day this started happening and said he had no issues with the window so i dont know what i could be doing wrong or if it just happened.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:22 PM
Teching In

I had this issue as well and I replaced the window motor in about half an hour with a Dorman from Advance. It works perfectly now.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It doesnt have a relay, it has a circuit breaker that gets hot from too much current draw & opens the circuit. After it cools it reconnects the circuit. Change the window motor, its drawing too much current because its worn out.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bum window motor. Just get the motor, don't need the regulator.

Here's a write-up:
http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html
Old 04-23-2012, 03:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Window motors are 27.99 on amazon with free shipping get the doorman brand.

You should have the car looked over by your mechanic. If the previous owner doesn't know what the symptoms of a bad motor are he is probably lying to you about other parts of the vehicle
Old 04-23-2012, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Nah he is good about the car... knows his stuff and its a nice car. We did compression test and all on it but thanks for the advice all just replace that then thanks.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you guys using Dorman motors or Cardone?
Old 05-02-2012, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

autotrix FTW !!!!!!

Quick Reply: window stops rooling upthen starts after relay cools down (98 firebird formula)