General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

LS2 Camaro stalling and backfiring at high rpm's

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 Camaro stalling and backfiring at high rpm's

02 Camaro with a H/C LS2 in it. I run 1st and 2nd gear both up to about 5,000 rpm's and it's fine but as soon as i switch to 3rd and climb to about 3500 it boggs down stalls out. Then it gives me a couple small backfires. Starts back up fine and idles normal, i can drive it fine through the gears as long as i dont mash it too hard. Sometimes if i dont keep into too much at 3rd gear i can keep it from dying but as soon as i slow and down to 2nd i'll push the gas and outta nowhere it jumps hella hard like a shot Nitrous...Havent tried it on the freeway though....
Old 05-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Teching In

Bump.....Anybody got any suggestion?
Old 05-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Huh....possibly failing 02 sensors. Maybe dumping shitloads of gas when it boggs down.

But the sudden hit of power sounds like a failing Crank Shaft Position sensor. They can snap the car alive out of nowhere like that.

And NO.....you won't get an SES light for failing 02 sensors or a failing CPS until they are totally failed in almost all cases.

I'd get it scanned to check the 02 sensors to see how they're switching. If they turn out ok....change the CPS. It takes like 5 minutes. Drop the starter and its right there.

ALSO......Dirty MAF's have caused all kinds of strange **** that has to do with bogging and power issues at all rpms. Clean it......

Old 05-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS6427
Huh....possibly failing 02 sensors. Maybe dumping shitloads of gas when it boggs down.

But the sudden hit of power sounds like a failing Crank Shaft Position sensor. They can snap the car alive out of nowhere like that.

And NO.....you won't get an SES light for failing 02 sensors or a failing CPS until they are totally failed in almost all cases.

I'd get it scanned to check the 02 sensors to see how they're switching. If they turn out ok....change the CPS. It takes like 5 minutes. Drop the starter and its right there.

ALSO......Dirty MAF's have caused all kinds of strange **** that has to do with bogging and power issues at all rpms. Clean it......

Thanks bro, i just remembered one of my spark plug boots came loose once and cause my fuel to puddle and backfire. I wouldnt think that would cause me to stall out though.

Quick Reply: LS2 Camaro stalling and backfiring at high rpm's