General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Another Window Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 06:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Another Window Issue

Good Morning,

So like most of you I've had window issues. My motor/regulator stopped working about a month ago when I was rolling the window up and heard a loud clunk when it reached the top... then it didn't power the window anymore but you could still hear the motor churning.

I got the motor/regulator replaced as a unit this past weekend... and this morning... same thing happens and the window once again will not operate. When I press the button I can hear the motor going, but window doesn't move at all. I can however grab it with my hand and make it move, but there is certainly no assistance coming from the window motor. I don't want to keep buying new regulators on a weekly basis for this. Any ideas out there?

Thanks!
Old 06-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Roller came off the track possibly?
Old 06-06-2012, 06:16 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Who did the replacement? I'll bet your old unit is still in there. If your motor is eally turning, something between the reg and the motor broke. Lightening doesn't strike twice like this...
Old 06-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A local shop in CT here. I recently moved and am still looking for a trustworthy place... I enjoy doing my own work on the car but have been limited for time. Hopefully this guy does the right things and fixes it for real this time at no extra charge.

Thanks for the input so at least this place can't try to COMPLETELY rip me off.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:50 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

So... when this happens, (motor runs, window doesn't operate but can be manipulated by hand) the cause is generally one of two things:
- A stripped gear on the regulator.
- A previously replaced (not riveted) motor came loose from the regulator.

If the shop really put a NEW motor and regulator in, then the gears would be perfect and the motor wouldn't separate.

Can you find more information about what was really done? Did they just replace the motor, maybe re-tighten some bolts?

The windows/motors are an area where I'd recommend making the time to do the work yourself. There are so many pitfalls and gremlins here, that its very difficult for a shop to do a quality job unless they really know the car:
- Replacement motors should be the Dorman type.
- Motor to regulator attachments need to be made with rivets or threadlocked bolts.
- Regulator to door attachments need to be done with special rivets for GM, or they can tear up the door panel.
- Using the shbox method for motor replacement will help avert wear on the door rivet holes.