General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

New steering rack making noise...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 03:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default New steering rack making noise...

Installed a new steering rack yesterday, it's a remanufactured unit. Replaced the lines as well. Everything seemed fine, but I noticed that after a short drive the power steering makes noise. The noise is a slight groan, only really noticeable if the car is stopped and at parking lot speeds, I'm figuring it's air in the system. I bled it again today with some bubbles coming up, but not too many. I dropped the car down off of the stands and sure enough the groan was still there. Should I just keep on bleeding it? Is it possible the rack is bad? The pump worked fine before the install, only reason for replacing the rack and lines is because of leaking issues.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:08 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

That will sometimes happen with a bad reman.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't know if this makes any sort of difference but when the car has sat for about 6 hours there is no noise at all. Once I drive for about five minutes the noise comes back and I can feel it in the steering wheel. Obviously the elusive air bubbles that are still stuck in the system are only causing a problem when everything starts to get hot and up to normal operating temp. Is this a sure sign that something is bad with the rack or does it just need to be bled more? Any other way to bleed other than up in the air and turning lock to lock? I don't have a mityvac or else I would have done that already.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talk to ls6427. He has a great 2 man bleeding procedure.

Quick Reply: New steering rack making noise...