General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Belt Hitting Alternator. Bad Tensioner?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 12:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt Hitting Alternator. Bad Tensioner?

Noticed the belt was hitting the alternator and causing the belt to spray a dust everywhere. Its not the belt, tried that. Also it only does it when throttle is applied, not at idle.

I would just grind down the fin a little on the alternator so it wont hit but I think it may be the tensioner. Could the tensioner cause this? Thanks!
Old 02-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, the factory tensioners suck. When the spring gets old its all over, you need a new one. If you tried a new belt already, its definitely the tensioner.

Get a Kateck fixed tensioner and you'll never buy another one again. Its the way GM should have designed it in the first place......but then they wouldn't be able to sell replacements by the thousands.....

Also, the factory tensioner actually ruins belts and wears them out faster.....by stretching them, because the tensioners bounce all the time while you're driving. The Katech tensioner doesn't allow any bouncing at all, no spring, no bounce. I've had my serpentine belt on my engine for about 9 years now, it still looks perfect. The factory tensioners have little notches on them so you can see how much your belt is stretching over time so you know when to replace the belt......or in your case, the tensioner.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:37 PM
Launching!

Pretty much what I figured I just didnt wanna spend the coin on something that wouldnt fix anything. Guess ill start savin up ha. Sucks to be broke.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:21 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by strokerrace
Pretty much what I figured I just didnt wanna spend the coin on something that wouldnt fix anything. Guess ill start savin up ha. Sucks to be broke.
You'll have to buy another factory style tensioner again......two times pays for it. Not too mention, you'll buy 3 belts in the time one belt lasts on my engine. If you get the Katech you'll be saving money...........

Old 02-17-2012, 12:49 AM
Launching!

Yea if I was going to buy one it was gonna be the Katech but didnt wanna spend 140 on a nice looking anodized piece that didnt fix my problem..
Old 02-17-2012, 05:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

there is nothing wrong with factory tensioners, first off make sure nothing else is wrong. even though these are two serp belt system they can still be misaligned.

Last edited by jam01; 02-17-2012 at 05:09 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:01 AM
Launching!

How would I align it if it was off? Ill check it though..
Old 02-17-2012, 07:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by strokerrace
How would I align it if it was off? Ill check it though..
you would have to see what is misaligned, could be anything not just a tensioner. it could be a bent bracket, try using a straight edge.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

so, other then "pre-mature" belt wear prevention, does getting an aftermarket idler do anything else?

Quick Reply: Belt Hitting Alternator. Bad Tensioner?