General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What drains the battery over night?

Old 02-17-2013, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What drains the battery over night?

The car in question is a H/C/I 95 firebird lt1. Battery has been replaced and I still have to hook up my batt charger if I want to start it, completely dead, no lights nothing. Car ignition system is stock and doesn't have an aftermarket amp in it. My buddies lt1 camaro is doing the same thing. He replaced his battery too. Next morning dead. Where do I start looking?
Old 02-17-2013, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

you positive its is a battery problem and not a loose/bad wire somewhere? otherwise sounds like you have one hell of a draw coming off of something to suck down a battery like that over night. load test the battery and see what your amps/volts are. if they are shot, Quick easy test connect a test light between your negative cable and the post negative on your battery, if it glows bright as **** you have a current draw somewhere.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Each day disconnect a different harness until the battery holds it's charge. I would start with major harnesses. When you find the one draining the battery start working your way through to the smaller harnesses.

It can also be done with a ampmeter looking for the draw on the battery. Disconnect one terminal from the battery. Then hook a meter between the battery terminal and the battery cable. As you disconnect each harness check the draw. When the draw has a major decrease you start working through that harness.

Its time consuming but it can be done.

Good Luck
Craig
Old 02-17-2013, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The other thing to check is that the battery is charging properly. Check the battery cables make sure they are good, clean not frayed. Make sure the connections are tight and clean.

Have the alternator tested to make sure its working as well.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:18 AM
Staging Lane

I would get the alternator tested. Definitely a draw of some sort.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:26 AM
Teching In

I would use test light, like said above, between neg battery post and battery clamp, but I would pull fuses instead of unplugging wires until test light turns off. This way is a little easier and works just as well (as long as it is a draw from a circuit going through fuse box) just remember that interior lights from door open will cause a draw while you are testing
Old 02-19-2013, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

True the fuses would be simpler.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What is the voltage after you leave it sitting overnight? Have you had that battery tested to see if it's good? Even brand new batteries can have a dead cell.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What drains the battery over night?