General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

input/opinions on more ZDDP in engine oil = cooler oil?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default input/opinions on more ZDDP in engine oil = cooler oil?

got into a conversation qith my cousin asking me what oil i put into my trans am (mobil 1 synthetic) and he said i should go with ams oil since they have more zddp in their oil, which i guess keeps the oil cooler, but isnt in alot of oil as much since emissions, i was wondering if adding a zddp additive or changing the oil with ams oil brand like my cousin said would help keep the oil cooler (not that its overheating but i would rather have it be as cool as possible) and also wondering if i can add the zddp additive to my transmission oil to keep that cool also (dexrol III) or should i just switch the transmission oil with something else (cousin said to try engine oil 10w-40 but idk)

just want to see peoples opinion/knowledge on the stuff because i havent begun looking through all the info and hearing personal experiences would help me make up my mind quicker than reading "facts"
Old 07-09-2012, 09:39 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,057 Posts

DO NOT put any sort of ZDDP additive in your trans!

You don't need extra ZDDP additives in a roller cammed engine.

Old flat tappet cams need more ZDDP to prevent cam lobe wear. This friction point is not nearly as sensitive with roller lifters. High ZDDP content is not about keeping the engine oil cooler, it's about providing the correct lubrication/film for flat tappet cams.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

alright, thanks for letting me know, but putting in the ams oil wont do any harm or should i just stick to the mobil 1? and about the trans fluid, can i replace that with a thicker engine oil? or stick with proven dexrol III
Old 07-09-2012, 11:27 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by boostedskyline
alright, thanks for letting me know, but putting in the ams oil wont do any harm or should i just stick to the mobil 1? and about the trans fluid, can i replace that with a thicker engine oil? or stick with proven dexrol III
Using Amsoil in the engine won't hurt anything. Extra ZDDP (if Amsoil even has this, frankly I have no knowledge of their blend/additive package as I don't use this brand) certainly won't hurt a roller cam at all, it's just not needed like it is with a flat tappet cam.

As for trans fluid, DO NOT use any sort of engine oil in the trans under any circumstance, ever. Stick to fluids that are specifically designed for automatic transmissions, always. Any brand of Dexron III/DexIII equivalent would be a fine choice.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

alright thanks for clearing everything up, ill let my cousin know to keep doing what hes doing on his srt lol
Old 07-11-2012, 05:34 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

NO ADDITIVES TO OIL.....period.

If you need cooler oil temps something is probably wrong. You could out an oil cooler on it if you want to.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Staging Lane

it doesnt get super hot, i just want it as cool as possible
Old 07-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Forget about the temp of the oil.........If your coolant temps are within acceptable limits (215-225 max), you're fine.

I personally like my temps on my 427ci to be around 195-200, and they always were. To get those temps I had a properly operating factory stock cooling system. Just a cooler t-stat was in there. If my coolant temps were that good, my oil temp was fine too.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:49 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Why would you want the engine oil as cool as possibile? Is this for a forced induction application where engine oil is being shared with a turbo/blower?

Oil needs to reach a proper operating temp to remove moisture/contaminates, and also to promote proper flow throughout the engine. If you keep it too cool all the time, this will hot help anything, and will actually hurt.

Either way, ZDDP has nothing to do with this.

If you do install an oil cooler, you may want to block it off during the cold months depending on your location.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:46 PM
Staging Lane

yes it is procharged (p-1sc) idk i may have just been freaking out the past week since it was extremely hot over here (MI) and my cousin just brought up the topic about the stuff and i've never heard of it so i figured i would ask people with lt1/ls1 cars lol thanks again for the input, not worried as much now
Old 07-12-2012, 03:07 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

yes it is procharged (p-1sc) idk i may have just been freaking out the past week since it was extremely hot over here (MI) and my cousin just brought up the topic about the stuff and i've never heard of it so i figured i would ask people with lt1/ls1 cars lol thanks again for the input, not worried as much now
To the best of my knowledge, all Prochargers are self-contained units, so they should have their own oil that is not shared with the engine. This being the case, engine oil temps are not critical to the longevity of, nor effected by, the compressor bearings as would be the case with a blower/turbo that shares oil with the engine.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:25 PM

Many folks using the AMSOIL Zrod 10w30, contain the high zddp and detergents needed

Quick Reply: input/opinions on more ZDDP in engine oil = cooler oil?