General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

SHORT that blows fuse, OBD2 port, cig lighter not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 09:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default SHORT that blows fuse, OBD2 port, cig lighter not working

this isse just randomly started up one day, i noticed my GPS stopped charging and died and relized ther was no power comming out of the aux port it was plugged into, the cigg lighter also had no power, the fuse that is labled ACC i belive it was was blown and sticking another one in there it will blow it, the wierd thing is I am pretty sure my line lock and cutout run off the same power wire and they still work, I also noticed a few months later my OBD2 port does not work when I tried to read a check engine code so i assume this is all wired together.

Where should I start looking and any tips on tracking this down? ground issue maybe? everything else on the car works just fine eletrical
Old 07-11-2012, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had the same problem in my z, what was wrong with mine was the cigarette lighter, for some reason it was causing my fuse to blow. Just leave the cigg lighter off or dont place it all the way in there and you should't blow your fuse no more.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:34 PM
10 Second Club

hmmm you know what come to think of it, I did buy a cigg lighter to put in the hole LOL I bet thats exactly hit I never even thought about it. thanks I will get a new fuse and try it tomorrow.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:02 AM
On The Tree

no problem.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:31 PM
10 Second Club

Yup Problem solved it was the cigg lighter causing it, I assume it is the piece that it plugs into because nothing will charge in it even with everything else working now. Is there a fix for this can I just replace it? its not that big of a deal but just wondering if the fault is there or wiring somewhere
Old 07-13-2012, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

i really don't know, i just never plug it in cause i got tire of changing fuses lol plus i don't smoke and our cars are none smokers, to charge stuff i just use the other plug.

Quick Reply: SHORT that blows fuse, OBD2 port, cig lighter not working