General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car randomly losing battery voltage, then getting it back. Completely random

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 02:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car randomly losing battery voltage, then getting it back. Completely random

Over the past two days my LS1 Trans Am has been having random ignition and battery problems. I found that the serpentine belt was sliding off of the pulleys, so I replaced the entire tensioner and tensioner pulley, as well as the serpentine belt. Last night, the interior dash lights all of a sudden got extremely dim, the "ABS Off" light came on, and the battery voltage slipped from 13 volts to about 5. After about 2 mins of driving, it returned to 13, and didn't decrease again afterward. This morning it drove fine, then did the same thing right before I needed to park the car. When I went to start it, the alternator didn't have enough power to crank over, but the starter motor was spinning away without a problem. Voltage stayed around 6 volts, and stayed there even after I jumped the car. Fast forward 5 minutes and it was the same deal, until returning to normal again. It seems to me the belt may still be slipping if the alternator isn't getting enough power to the battery, on random, but I'm not entirely sure. Any ideas on the situation?
Old 07-23-2012, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Check the positive lead to the alternator and make sure it is tight. Then check the positive lead to the fuse box. Also check the ground from the battery to the body.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Reckless
Check the positive lead to the alternator and make sure it is tight. Then check the positive lead to the fuse box. Also check the ground from the battery to the body.
In addition to this, check the crimp on the terminal.
I found mine had corroded very bad.

Quick Reply: Car randomly losing battery voltage, then getting it back. Completely random