General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Head light motor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head light motor?

Hey guys, so lately my left head light has not been opening on the first try so i have to close it them and try opening them again and usually then it will go. So I just assumed it was the headlight motor. But now when I close them the driver side head light makes a noise like its still trying to close after it is already closed. The weird part is when I hit the lock or unlock button on the remote the head lights open and close real fast and I get that same noise . So I was wondering if anyone has delt with this or had to change a motor on one of these headlights. Thanks -Mitch
Old 07-29-2012, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah the gear in the motor housing is stripped. It cycles the motors to find position every time the parking lights are switched. Pretty easy fix. You can find replacements on eBay. Get brass or aluminum to fix it with. To save some time just get a set and replace them both at the same time, the other isn't far behind.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Breathing Fire
Yeah the gear in the motor housing is stripped. It cycles the motors to find position every time the parking lights are switched. Pretty easy fix. You can find replacements on eBay. Get brass or aluminum to fix it with. To save some time just get a set and replace them both at the same time, the other isn't far behind.
Exactly. I bought mine on ebay through Hawks 3rd Gen, around $100 for both gears. Took a couple hours and a six pack to get them in and done. Haven't had a problem since.