General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Wierd grind/vibration, increases with RPM, not motor/trans.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 09:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd grind/vibration, increases with RPM, not motor/trans.

It is always something with this car. I wasn't paying attention and was in a bad mood and started my car with it in gear, and my foot not on the clutch. So it obviously joked forward, and stopped abruptly, and stalled out. No biggie. But ever since then, there is a definite grind as first gear engages, and a vibration that goes with it, and it gets worse as the RPMs increase. It is definetly not the motor or trans. So what is it? Is my rear end fucked? Or is something up with my torque arm, and it's rubbing/grinding against the driveshaft? I've done my best to explain this problem.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:26 PM
12 Second Club

Also, I don't know if this makes a difference, but there is no grind/vibration when I push in the clutch, or just roll in neutral. Only when in a gear.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

check the torque arm, mine did the something similar and it turned out the torque arm was broken but i couldnt tell until i pulled it off and it was a fine split down the middile and was literally an upper and lower piece.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:26 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DarkJuggalo
check the torque arm, mine did the something similar and it turned out the torque arm was broken but i couldnt tell until i pulled it off and it was a fine split down the middile and was literally an upper and lower piece.
Is it going to cause damage if I drive it a few miles to get it on a lift? Or should I try to have it towed?
Old 08-15-2012, 03:21 PM
12 Second Club

Guess I found my problem...

Old 08-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Teching In

Is the above a picture of the torque arm? I have a similar problem with my car, it just doesn't feel the same all of a sudden. I was driving on a straight road once hit a bump that wasn't even visible and the rear of the car felt like it was jumping out from underneath me (that was after i had already felt it acting weird). I was also driving down a highway at about 70 and I almost just wanted to pull over because of the way it felt.