General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car was running fine, then started misfiring real bad.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car was running fine, then started misfiring real bad.

Just bought a 95 z28 yesterday. Was literally driving it home from the buyers home. All the sudden a loud noise and the smell of coolant occurred. From then on it had began misfiring bad. Very poppy when the throttle was let off. When throttling the rpms would die down and then jump back up. I was at a light almost to my place and the car died. I tried starting it and it would attempt to start but wouldn't turn over. So i rolled into the nearest parking lot and there it sits. I am positive its the opti, but u wanted yalls advice before I go buy an opti. Thanks! Also 95+ is vented correct?
Old 08-20-2012, 11:01 AM
On The Tree

31 views and not a single comment? Lol thanks guys. Screw it ill order it then.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You aren't getting a reply because you provided a bunch of random info. You heard a loud noise, smelled coolant, ran bad, and now you assume it is a bad opti?

1. Have you checked that you are getting spark? Done the basics- checked fuel, spark at least?

2. I really don't like the fact that you said you heard a loud bang and then smelled coolant. Hopefully you don't have major problems.

3. Did the car overheat? Is there visible coolant or oil on the ground?

Get a little more detailed and we'll go from there.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Not a lot of LT1 experts running around here either
Old 08-20-2012, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

I was driving and it started misfiring, at the same time I smelt coolant. I pull over right away, checked it and nothing. No steaming, smoking or leaking if any kind. So i continued to drive to my apartment and it continued to misfire. Eventually it died at a light and i had to push it to the parking lot. It would crank but not turn over. Well this morning I got it to fire up and run for a good minute at a normal idle. The parking lot is a good two miles from my apartment so I didn't want to attempt taking it there, its in a good place with a lot of traffic and cameras. I'm not sure how to test the spark, it coil I haven't really done that before. I'm surprised it started this morning. Any thoughts whatsoever would be amazingly appreciated as this is my only car as of right now.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

Quick update, I have concluded that its probably the icm. The car starts running bad after its warmed up. If I try and start it up after its warm, nothing. but if I wait a couple hours, it will start back up while giving it some gas.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

Update: Swapped the ICM out and it now turns over fine, and runs without dying. Although it still misfires pretty bad. What happens is ill start her up and the ses light will start flickering (if not when i start it, when I'm driving) and eventually it will stay on (usually about 5 minutes after driving it). Any thoughts? Haven't gotten any comments in a while..I'm not very seasoned when it comes to auto mechanics. I swapped the plugs, and should probably do the wires. The wire to the icm (I guess the coil wire?) Had a lot of white corrosion lookin stuff in the boot. Could that be causing misfires?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car was running fine, then started misfiring real bad.