General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

need chasis help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 10:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need chasis help!

Ok, so I went to a local garage to look at my front end. The guy is telling me that I need lower control arm bushings, and that instead buying the bushings, I should just buy new arms because he says its cheaper to buy the new arms, than replace the bushings. The new aftermarket tubular BMR arms are about $350-$400 a pair plus installation. I'm not sure if they mount right up. Stock arms are $350 each ($700).The bushings are $30 each. So $120 for 4 bushings. I can't believe it would cost more in labor to install new bushings, than buying and paying to replace new arms. The mechanic says that replacing the bushings is such a pain, that its actually cheaper labor to just replace the arms. Is he saying that only because he doesn't want to spend the time replacing the bushings? I think, because he is is old and week with health problems and I think he doesn't have the strength to replace the bushings so he is saying its better to just replace the arms. Does anyone have actual real experience with this issue to give an honest opinion on what would be the least expensive route? It's just a street driver that doesn't get raced.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:23 AM
On The Tree

Most shops go off "book time" and often that time is padded to account for an average time accross all vehicles. Personally I think most the numbers are grossly over estimated, but im sure a mechanic will come chew me out for that.

If the book says its a half day job to get your car in, lift it up, remove the old bushings, clean it up, install, align, etc, then theyll charge you $90/hr or so for 4-5 hrs plus parts so yea depending on what arms you buy, its probably cheaper. If you can learn to do it yourself, its definitely worth it.

Example, dealer wants 800-900 to install a bushing on my diff - part was $65 and I did it in an evening with mostly normal hand tools.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

do the bushings your self with a press.or try to buy some used arms in good shape on this forum.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:39 AM
Staging Lane

I'm gonna just buy aftermarket tubulars and be done. I can install them in my garage. I just have to get the car up to drop the subframe I believe.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

You dnt need to drop the subframe you need to read a service manual before you tackle this job and look into an alignment shop too some may not align the car with aftermarket accessories also if you need help you can pm me I am a certified Porsche tech let me know I will walk you through it
Old 08-19-2012, 11:03 PM
TECH Junkie

If the shop takes on the whole job it should be cheaper just replacing the bushings. That guy is just probably being lazy and wanting to just replace the arms which is much easier.

Whether you just replace the bushings or install new arms, an alignment is necessary.