General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

PCV Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PCV Help

Ok so my service engine soon light comes on I pop the hood and can hear a vacuum leak after looking around I find the small tube going from the PCV valve to the intake had a small crack so i pulled off the pcv valve and the small tube i got a regular fuel line hose for the small cracked tube but on the other end of the pcv valve where it goes into the grommet is a little torn up on the inside of the grommet I am not sure what to do when I connect it all back up is it supposed to move around inside the grommet? also when I have everything connected back up and start the car up I still have the service engine soon light on. I took it to autozone before i started all of this and had the codes pulled and it threw a P0442 am I on the right track?
Old 08-19-2012, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 96 LT1 OBD II Service Manual does not reference an Oldsmobile (i.e. - "442") code; it lists 441, then 443 and jumps over 442 - so, check out this link:

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0442

Having said that, if you have a leak in this "closed" system, you should either replace the grommet or seal it up with a small amount of silicone.

After the codes have cleared (disconnect the battery for 15 minutes, or use a scan tool), and the silicone has cured, see if you get that code again.

Good luck!
Old 08-19-2012, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TXrangersfan0731
Ok so my service engine soon light comes on I pop the hood and can hear a vacuum leak after looking around I find the small tube going from the PCV valve to the intake had a small crack so i pulled off the pcv valve and the small tube i got a regular fuel line hose for the small cracked tube but on the other end of the pcv valve where it goes into the grommet is a little torn up on the inside of the grommet I am not sure what to do when I connect it all back up is it supposed to move around inside the grommet? also when I have everything connected back up and start the car up I still have the service engine soon light on. I took it to autozone before i started all of this and had the codes pulled and it threw a P0442 am I on the right track?
I can tell you are Texas Rangers fan from your user id........but.....I have no idea what kind of car you are talking about. Me, I have a 1998 Z28 and the little rubber boot that the PCV Valve is inside of broke and i went to Autozone and found a rubber boot that worked for me. Again not knowing what kind of car you are talking about makes it difficult for us to assist you.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:13 PM
Teching In

Wow I cant believe I did not post that lol. Its a 1999 Camaro SS
Old 08-19-2012, 06:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

0442 is an Evap code fora small evap system leak it could be something like your gas cap not sealing properly.

As for the PCV system,I would buy about 10ft of 3/8ths rubber fuel hose and replace everything.

Pull the old system off and fab up a new one with a couple elbows the fuel line and a "T"

My whole pcv system was rotting and thats what I did,very easy fix.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Ok could the PCV be causing the code?
Old 08-20-2012, 06:01 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by great421
or seal it up with a small amount of silicone.
Gotta watch out here. This could destroy the O2 sensors.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TXrangersfan0731
Ok could the PCV be causing the code?
No its two seperate problems.

The Evap code is probably your gas cap.