General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rattling noise with AC on at IDLE only?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 12:24 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Rattling noise with AC on at IDLE only?

Started getting a rattling noise a month or so ago at idle, it was intermittent and mild, and I noticed it went away when I turned off the AC. It also went away when I started driving, only came back when I pushed the clutch in and came to a stop. AC compressor was replaced last summer, so it's only a year old. Compressor still has been blowing cold air with no degraded performance in the past month that it has been rattling. Thoughts?
Old 09-08-2012, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine does the same 98z, i cant figure out if its the load of the compressor causing it or if its the compressor.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Launching!

I've had a few people recommend changing the AC Idler pulley, I may try that this afternoon and let you know if it resolves the rattling.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:31 PM
Launching!

I just changed all the pulleys on the AC system, and replaced the belt, and I'm still getting the rattle. Using a stethoscope, I found out it's definitely coming from the compressor itself. It's only a year old, so I'm fairly pissed off.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cascadesys
I just changed all the pulleys on the AC system, and replaced the belt, and I'm still getting the rattle. Using a stethoscope, I found out it's definitely coming from the compressor itself. It's only a year old, so I'm fairly pissed off.
There is a service bulletin about the gm compressors. What you are hearing is the compressor. If you changed it out a year ago for the same noise or when you change it out this time you need to flush the complete system to get the broken pieces out and GM has a filter to put inline to catch the pieces that are not flushed out. Been there and done that. Others like myself think(or thought) it's the tensioner because you see it start bouncing bad when the noise is present, but it's not. It can break the tensioner spring(mine did) if you allow it to go to long. I wish i had the bulletin number, but i don't at this time. I used to work as a tech. for Chevrolet for it is worth. I hope this helps.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

i've replaced the belt, tensioner and idler all for maintenance recently so i know thats not the problem on mine either. like KY says i'm pretty sure the compressor is coming apart.

summer is almost over so i'll deal with it before next years heat.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Launching!

I replaced EVERYTHING last summer, the compressor, the condensor, the accumulator, everything. I replaced it last summer because the compressor flat out died, no cold air at all. Didn't get the rattling last time.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was it an OEM compressor?

Quick Reply: Rattling noise with AC on at IDLE only?