General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

wont crank- no security light tho

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default wont crank- no security light tho

car is a 98 z28. had a problem with no crank a year or so ago and it was vats i put a resistor inline to bypass vats.

last week the car went back to not starting or cranking the security light comes on then goes off normal but no crank... i found that the clutch switch was bad(ohmed bad) so i replaced it and car worked good for a day or 2 and now will not crank yet again. this is so frustrating!!! where should i test next???

i have no voltage at the start relay from the bcm when key is on. Could it be the ignition switch? how can i test?

thanks yall
Old 12-12-2012, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

How did you install your VATS resistor? If you just shoved it in the connector like I have read about people doing it could have lost contact. I soldered my resistors onto the purple/white wire and the white/black wire.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it is just shoved in there for now. it is getting good contact but i need to solder it but my security light is going off. what other components is the ign circuit going through besides the bcm and clutch switch. how can i test the bcm and where is it located
Old 12-12-2012, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok the wife just got home so i had her try to start it while i jumped the red and purple wire at the start relay still no go. so does this mean the problem should be downstream towards the starter? tomorrow i am pulling the starter and checking voltage at the sol while key turned to start. any other ideas?
Old 12-13-2012, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

did you test the cam/crank sensors?

Quick Reply: wont crank- no security light tho