General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help flushing coolant during H/C/I swap...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 11:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help flushing coolant during H/C/I swap...

As the title states I'm in the middle of a Head, Cam, and Intake swap; during the cleaning process of the deck surfaces (removing the old gasket material) I'm a hundred percent sure I've allowed some particles and sediment to enter the coolant passages. I was curious as to how I can remove this from the cooling jackets prior to startup. I do have an old water pump (working condition) that I could install and trash after the flush. I'm concerned about moving the sediment into my new heads, or radiator, new pump or some other place the sediments could become stagnate. I have the time now and I am personally very meticulous about my ****! Any suggestions or advice will help tremendously.

I’ve attached some photos so you all could see where the car is as of now. I have access to compressed air, shop vac, and so on. I just don’t know which method may be best for my situation. Whether it be to vacuum it out, blow it out, let the pump do work and flush it that way. Just curious; any thoughts or suggestions from experience would be nice.
Attached Thumbnails Help flushing coolant during H/C/I swap...-photo.jpg   Help flushing coolant during H/C/I swap...-photo2.jpg  
Old 01-05-2013, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get a 2' piece of hard rubber hose like 1/4" or 3/16" or at least whatever will fit into the passage but still be large enough to suck up the scraped gasket material. and make sure the hose is not too soft where it collapses when under vacuum. put it into the end of a wet/dry vac or similar vacuum and duct tape the **** out of it to seal it. then vacuum out the ports as deep as you can reach. if you didn't blow compressed air into the block yet then it should vacuum out no problem. for the slits around the cylinders i would just put the end of the vac over it to suck it out.

Quick Reply: Help flushing coolant during H/C/I swap...