General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Another car shaking thread need advice, tires? Transmission? something I missed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 11:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another car shaking thread need advice, tires? Transmission? something I missed?

so here is the car, 98 trans am, 128k lowered, umi adjustable torque arm relocating kit, adjustable lca's and panhard bar, stock motor besides LTH and **** kit A4 trans.

Car started off with a soft shake for the last 1k miles gradually got worst, only noticeable when diggin into it and at higher speeds, for example; if I get up to 50-60 it shake and 70-80 shakes worst, let off the gas and it shakes 10 times worst not being on the brakes. When at a stand still If I try to dig into it it feels responsive but t feel different from when I first installed the torque arm but it feel like it's going to fall apart.

Everything has been inspected over and over and over, I've had it on the lift several times. it started before I put new tires on it and when the new tires were mounted it got worst. I found out I had bad tie rod ends, now replaced the car needs an alignment, todays mission. I just installed new rotors and pads thinking it was warped rotors. New drilled and slotted goodness,

One thing I did notice is this. At idle I noticed now it feel choppy not motor choppy but almost like a popping feeling. History of the repairs as of the last year or so, broke the tail shaft housing due to bad torque arm over 7k miles ago. Lately, Carrier bearings went bad in the posi and I got a new one and the torque arm adjustments weren't tightened properly causing it to slowly loose pinion angle and later down the highway the driveshaft popped off, wasn't fun. fixed up since then now she shakes more then she did back then.

Shifting it into neutral during the issue doesn't make it go away. we are getting tires rebalanced today and maybe realigned.

The only issue I can visibly see which everyone says is normal. The driveshaft yoke sticks out about 2-3 inchs from the tail shaft and it has a little wiggle room, when the driveshaft is out it has the same amount of wiggle play in to, not crazy. and the tailshaft bushing is in good shape and doesn't leak but speaks if you turn it, though as if you are putting nails on a chalk board. and the trans mount looks good.

Sorry the paragraphs. this car has been threw hell and back and I have fought it the whole way and just want the drivetrain completely sorted out before I add a ton of **** to this motor in the next month, thanks.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

What's your pinion angle? I had one doing the same thing and my pinion angle was at -5 instead of -3. Make sure the car is setting like it would on street when checking pinion angle.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like you need your tires balanced. My camaro would do the same thing and just needed to have them re balanced
Old 01-12-2013, 10:24 PM
10 Second Club

Pinion angle done by Tredalign. It's good, Tires balanced twice. I am aiming towards wheel bearing in the front. it gets better when braking, less shaky rather. alignment also helped the issue o keep them going straight. ideas?

Quick Reply: Another car shaking thread need advice, tires? Transmission? something I missed?