General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Just fixed my bad headlight motor and noticed something slightly odd....

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 03:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just fixed my bad headlight motor and noticed something slightly odd....

Alright guys, i need a little advise. I recently replaced my passenger headlight motor gear today (along with a new motor gear, i put fresh new grease and epoxied the cover closed like the directions said to do), but when i bolted everything back together, and i initially mounted the arm backwards (noob move i know) and it took me a coupe of minutes and a couple of times working the headlights to figure that out. Flipped the arm over, and everything worked fine. Until....i flipped the headlights up, i noticed the passenger headlight comes up slightly quicker then the driver side but both go down at the same time. I worked the headlights a couple of times and it still wont sync up while they go up. Im thinking two things here - either...i didnt sync them up correctly or something, or...since the passenger side has the new grease in it, its actually faster then the driver side? Im not sure what it is. Both lights still work with out issues, this is the only thing that bothers me.

-Any thoughts?
Old 02-06-2013, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Just did my driver side last week. But instead of doing the mods and all that I just bought a new motor from autzone for 70 bucks with a lifetime warranty, so if it does break again I just take it in and swap it (got tired of replacing them and it was almost the same price as the new hard aluminum gears).

Anyways to answer your question my driver side goes up slightly faster than my passenger. My personal opinion on it though is that the newer gears have more of a "tooth" for better grip which allows it to to roll up faster. But a quarter of a second in delay is not enough to bother me, so I didn't want to fool with it and break anything.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:17 PM
Launching!

Wow, 70 bucks is actually a pretty good deal! But yes, my passenger side is about a quarter of a second faster. So WS6_Veteran, does your headlights go down at the same rate like mine do? The only difference is when they go up? Im thinking the same thing you are, the gear is newer and the grease is better in the passenger motor. When i took the passenger motor apart, i was surprised on how bad the factory grease was. But....my passenger motor gear stripped at about 95,000 miles. Not to bad if you think about it. Although i did see a write up and the guy did both sides, so maybe that might even things out? Not sure.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

I actually did the gear first (got a free gear from autozone because they messed up my order). Waited a week for the nylon gear, installed it... went two weeks and BOOM destroyed the new gear (so I figured it was something to do with the motor). Theres only so many times you can pull that motor apart so I talked to them about a new motor and they said the Brand New motor was like 130. But a refab one from the same company WITH a lifetime warranty is only 70 bucks, so I said I'll take it. The grease in my factory one was really bad also, wouldn't of even called that grease, but what causes the grease to dry out is that little opening at the bottom of the gear for moisture drain so its inevitably. Ironically my car had 97k when it went, but when I went to do the 180 flip on the gear the other side had already been fixed by previous owner. My v6 had 110K and I was able to flip those 180 but it seems like 100k is the limit on those gears give or take.

I would guarantee to bet that if you buy a new motor for your other side or fix that gear they will go up and down the same. As far as going down I know its going up that its off a bit but I didn't check on going down, I will look when I get home tonight if I remember though.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

i replaced my driver side gear with the kit from ugh forgot the name
anyway the gear is heavier so my passenger side goes up slightly faster
i'm thinking if both had the same gear's both would end up the same speed but then again i noticed that ALL whether stored (new) car's lowest mileage ever or what ever none have the light's open together .. it must be one then another it's either a factory fault or a factory mod .. but hey at the end it doesn't bother me not one bit.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

Another thing that could be cause the delay is the "metal tabs" that hold the motor housing to the plastic gear housing. The old one may have a bit more play causing you to get a little bit of a delay. Brent Franker has a write up on it and how to fix it. http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headlightfix/

Click that link and its about a quarter of the way down he talks about it.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:24 PM
Launching!

Thats actually one of the pages i looked at before i started this whole project. Maybe ill look at the drivers side motor too for that problem. I actually totally forgot to check the metal housing for the motor. Since i think about it, my passenger side motor had very little play in it. Should it tightened up those tabs when i had the chance. doh!

Quick Reply: Just fixed my bad headlight motor and noticed something slightly odd....