General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

gauge fuse blew now car won't start HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default gauge fuse blew now car won't start HELP!!

just like the title says, I was finishing up my seafoam cleaning and going for a spirited drive down the freeway and on the way back the gauges stopped working, I didn't think much of it because I figured when I turn the car off and back on it would be fixed, so I turn the car off and turn the ignition back on but the gauges still will not move, I pull out the fuse and turns out the fuse is blown, I pulled the radio fuse and put it with a gauge fuse and as soon as I turn on the ignition fuse blows instantly again,now the shitty part is the car will not start or even attempt to turn over almost like it's a dead battery but the door locks windows and everything else still works I am at a loss and I don't know what to do but I'm freaking out because my car will not start now
Old 03-04-2013, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could be coincidental that the starter might have just decided to go up. Get underneath your car and whack your starter with a hammer a few times. If it starts then obviously that is the problem and I would invest in a new one.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea but if the starter is out wouldn't the gauges still work? When I put the key in the Seatbelt indicator flashes really fast for about 2 seconds then dead silence, and wheni turn the key there's nothing, literally dead silence like there isn't even a battery installed, Idk Wtf is going on, but Guage fuse blowing twice us really odd
Old 03-04-2013, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

What year is the car?
If Its a 98 the gauge cluster completes the circuit and it won't start with out it working. When we wiuld installe 6le gauges on 99+ we could turn car over and drive with out a cluster. But not on 98s. If it is a 98...I'm on mobil so I can't see if its incase u have sig info... the cluster needs to work in order for it to turn over

On my 02.. a rear break like was blowing the cluster fuse for what ever reason. Went thru like 3 of them before the 4th one held and is still there...

Did u get alternator wet?
Old 03-04-2013, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well Idk what the problem was or why it blew, but the first use I replaced it with blew up as soon as I went to start the car, but the second fuse I replace it with was the radio accessory fuse which is a 25 amp Instead of the 10 that it requires and now the car started right up so I don't know what the problem is but it's working again
Old 03-04-2013, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't keep the bigger fuse in there. Its a 10 for a reason. Keep on eye on things
Old 03-04-2013, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't have any other fuses, I need to go but some from the store
Old 03-04-2013, 05:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Between your car and my car phil, we probably could've saved the money we used to fix 'em and bought a new car. My transmission just blew up today
Old 03-04-2013, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh **** dude.... that blows
Old 09-19-2018, 07:58 PM
Teching In

Not to dig up a super old thread, but did you ever figure out what was causing this? My car is doing the exact same thing. However when I replace my gauge fuse, it holds until I drive at high speeds, then it blows again. Once it blows, it goes to no crank, no start condition. My car is a 1998 model year.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by steve126a
Not to dig up a super old thread, but did you ever figure out what was causing this? My car is doing the exact same thing. However when I replace my gauge fuse, it holds until I drive at high speeds, then it blows again. Once it blows, it goes to no crank, no start condition. My car is a 1998 model year.
Did you figure this out? Mine is doing the exact same thing only at certain speeds. I drive to work no problem, I go on the track and by the first lap it blows. Also my turn/backup fuse started blowing at random times. I looked at the fuse box and nothing looks out of place.

Last edited by mikedamageinc; 03-24-2019 at 06:59 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:01 PM
Teching In

Nope. Haven't figured it out yet. No one has offered any useful insight either. My car has been in storage for the winter, so once it gets nice out again, I'll try to find someone local who specializes in car electronics to see if I can get it sorted out.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by steve126a
Nope. Haven't figured it out yet. No one has offered any useful insight either. My car has been in storage for the winter, so once it gets nice out again, I'll try to find someone local who specializes in car electronics to see if I can get it sorted out.
That sucks, I keep looking around under the dash and find something loose or whatever and think I have it but no dice. I recently did some wiring so I thought that was it but I removed the instrument cluster and the fuse still blew, unhooked aftermarket gauges, still blew, then I saw this and if someone else has the same problem, there must be something else going on.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by mikedamageinc
That sucks, I keep looking around under the dash and find something loose or whatever and think I have it but no dice. I recently did some wiring so I thought that was it but I removed the instrument cluster and the fuse still blew, unhooked aftermarket gauges, still blew, then I saw this and if someone else has the same problem, there must be something else going on.

I was having same issue with my 2000 dodge neon; fuse blown right after replaced and tried to start the car will go blown again. Im not a mecanic but I fixed mine by pulling out the blown fuse and wraping around the 2 metal contacts a little piece of aluminum foil and pushed it in back in; that keeps voltage continuity. When fuse gets blown; what basically happened is that "power or voltage" to that fuse gets interrupted. I know there has to be something else causing it, Im not a mecanic so I haven't gotten to the root cause but so far car runs fine. Hope it helps... Plz let me know if that worked tho 😃
Old 05-28-2019, 10:02 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitchmitch
I was having same issue with my 2000 dodge neon; fuse blown right after replaced and tried to start the car will go blown again. Im not a mecanic but I fixed mine by pulling out the blown fuse and wraping around the 2 metal contacts a little piece of aluminum foil and pushed it in back in; that keeps voltage continuity. When fuse gets blown; what basically happened is that "power or voltage" to that fuse gets interrupted. I know there has to be something else causing it, Im not a mecanic so I haven't gotten to the root cause but so far car runs fine. Hope it helps... Plz let me know if that worked tho 😃
I'm sure you're just trolling but I'm going to respond just in case someone here takes you seriously. You're not only "not a mechanic", you're not very bright. Fuses blow for a reason - to protect the wire from getting hot enough to cause a fire. Wrapping a fuse with aluminum foil is bypassing this function and could cause catastrophic damage. Never replace a fuse with a higher amperage and certainly NEVER put in something that will allow unlimited current flow. Only a true moron would do that. Find out what's causing the fuse to blow and fix it - don't just put a dangerous bandage on it.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

Have you checked the ignition relay? There has to be an issue causing the blown fuses but that might have wiped the relay out as well.

Quick Reply: gauge fuse blew now car won't start HELP!!