General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Dirty/faulty EGR Valve, HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 04:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dirty/faulty EGR Valve, HELP!!!

hey everyone, i got the service engine light on my 1999 pontiac firebird and i got it scanned and the code p1404 came up which it says is1404 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Error
This code is typically caused by carbon buildup in the EGR valve. The carbon deposits prevent the valve from closing completely. After removing the EGR valve, clean the pintle seat area of the valve and the corresponding passageway in the engine.
How can i go about to fix this? please i really need help on this, ive been getting terrible mpg on it. a quick question to, is it bad if i change my o2 sensor? to prevent any damage to it over time or whatever, just to replace it.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Take it off and spray it out with brake or carb cleaner. Or replace it. Or remove the EGR system entirely and tune it out.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:39 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Its one of the easiest parts to get to and post a picture. Its on the top of the engine and I recall just 2 bolts hold it in place.

Before you do that, you'll want to have a new EGR gasket on hand so you can put it back on. (Fortunately, they are widely available and inexpensive.)

Quick Reply: Dirty/faulty EGR Valve, HELP!!!