General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Green brake fluid wtf GM

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 02:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Green brake fluid wtf GM

Purchased car, sick project in need of finishing. However, I am stuck with infamous green stinky brake fluid from copper brake down. God knows when the last "owner" changed anythng, so flushed and filled all fluids except the brakes.
I am debating running lines, r any mastery you guys have come across, from searching it seems some people run into problems w abs modules etc.
Any tips or suggestions on approaching bleed I so badly need to get her back on rd before the snow hits.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What kind of car is it?

Nevertheless, I'd probably empty the master cylinder with a turkey baster and refill it with new fluid, then just bleed the system a couple of times, drive it, and repeat if necessary.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Teching In

2000 trans am, m6, and yeah think Ill be bleeding it all weekend lol
Old 09-11-2013, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely not the end of the world and no need to replace lines lol.
I have seen some severely contaminated fluid in my time and I flushed them all out without any issues. If you stay on top of it you will never see that nasty **** return.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:04 PM
Launching!

GREEN=old

thats all.

flush it out
Old 09-15-2013, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just did my 2006 sierra, hard line blew going to the rear because of rust and road salt. before that i had green brake fluid, ended up replacing the master cylinder because the plastic res. was so full of debris which wouldn't clean out. so i had replaced all hard lines, I had no problem with the abs block. I used a motive power bleeder to push fluid through. It seems everyone who does the old fashioned method of one person pumping the brake pedal and the other doing the bleeder screw is insufficient. I've also pushed air into the master on my camaro but had no problems after bleeding using the power bleeder. if you don't pony up for a motive power bleeder you can make one out of a garden sprayer bottle that will pressurize to 5-10 psi, then all you need to do is get a fitting for the master cylinder reservoir or buy just the cap from motive. you don't need a power bleeder that feeds brake fluid to the master cylinder reservoir and i recommend you don't do it that way because it will make a mess. you only need to pressurize the reservoir and stop bleeding before it empties then refill.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:46 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i just did mine.. mine was green ans shitty... got the new AC Delco SUper DOT4 fromthe dealershit for $12 a bottle... bleed brakes well, Ranger Method the master cylinder a few times

Motul RBF600 is good stuff too
Old 09-17-2013, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

Question

Originally Posted by DirtyBirdMKE
i just did mine.. mine was green ans shitty... got the new AC Delco SUper DOT4 fromthe dealershit for $12 a bottle... bleed brakes well, Ranger Method the master cylinder a few times

Motul RBF600 is good stuff too
I've got the green fluid problem too.
After you flushed out and bled the brakes, did you notice any changes? Did you see any change in pedal height or firmness?
Old 09-17-2013, 10:37 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Pedal was way more firm... clutch was the biggest difference... be sure to cycle and redo the clutch master cyl a couple times to get all the crap out

Quick Reply: Green brake fluid wtf GM