General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Vacuum line setup questions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 08:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacuum line setup questions?

Hi guys I have a 2001 z and was just on the forum investigating why my car only blows air on the floor of the car. I came to find out that the problem is usually associated with the vacuum setup. So I was just looking around the engine bay and came accross two disconnected lines. I put a t in between them and figured that's where they are supposed to go but I want to be certain. The lines I found disconnected and t-ed have a white t in between them with a cap on the end.
Thanks for the help in advance

Old 10-01-2013, 08:26 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That looks like it should work; however, it also looks like a mess! There is one T fitting behind the intake which the stem of the T connects the AIR system. That should be the only line to be removed and plugged when someone removes the AIR system. Unfortunately, most directions on the site simply states to remove the vacuum lines from the rear of the intake (not specifying that one NEEDS those lines to operate the HVAC mixing door). Check this thread out: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...uum-lines.html

Last edited by demonspeed; 10-01-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:49 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the response as well as the link. From what I continue to read it seems like the t I have should be removed and the line that is already t-Ed goes to the back of the intake manifold, because there is no line there besides the brake booster line. The only thing is it leaves that other line open that I originally t-ed with the previous lines.

That line is located off the driver side of the car on the top of the manifold and goes to a little sensor on the rail. It's a very short line so there is no way it can reach the back of the manifold. I just can't figure out where it goes.

Here is a picture of the line that I want be able to find a home for. Like stated before it runs to that little sensor there actually 2 of them 1 is t-ed into the vacuum system and will be going to the back of the inake manifold the other I can't figure out. It's the short one just to the right of my finger.

Last edited by deonls1; 10-01-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:47 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

I think that smaller one is what would go to the AIR solenoid -- which it appears you no longer have. Honestly, you can remove that sensor with the two lines going into it. Since you do not have AIR on your car then it's not doing anything except cluttering the engine bay. All you should be left with is one line which goes to the HVAC system from the original T (which is coming from the back of the manifold). Put a cap on the top of the T and be done. Remove everything else.

Here's an entire AIR system removed (this is my car):

Old 10-01-2013, 01:07 PM
Staging Lane

I saw that as well on the diagram under the hood. I was loking the air box never could find it. It's definitley not there. If I were to remove that little box with the two lines connected to it what will it affect? Will it throw a check engine light?
Will it interfere with the ac in the car if it's removed?
Old 10-01-2013, 01:12 PM
Staging Lane

Also while I'm thinking about it right behind the intake there is a Pcv line that has 2 hard line tubes that connect to one line. The rubber hose that connects the two lines has a pretty nice gash in it. Where can I find that hose?
Old 10-02-2013, 09:33 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by deonls1
I saw that as well on the diagram under the hood. I was loking the air box never could find it. It's definitley not there. If I were to remove that little box with the two lines connected to it what will it affect? Will it throw a check engine light?
Will it interfere with the ac in the car if it's removed?
Nope, that has nothing to do with the HVAC; only the AIR system. You're not going to throw any codes because the AIR system has already been tuned out (I'm assuming this since you've already got long tubes and aren't mentioned that you currently have any codes). That little box is literally just sitting there looking ugly and making you bang your head against a wall figuring out what to do with it! Just unplug it and get rid of it.

Originally Posted by deonls1
Also while I'm thinking about it right behind the intake there is a Pcv line that has 2 hard line tubes that connect to one line. The rubber hose that connects the two lines has a pretty nice gash in it. Where can I find that hose?
Unfortunately, the PCV system isn't serviceable in parts -- one has to buy that whole hose system from GM. However, you can certainly use someone's used parts if they've done the LS6 PCV conversion or anyone else that's removed a PCV system for whatever reason. I tossed mine in the trash when I did the LS6 PCV not knowing at the time that it wasn't serviceable so that I could give it to someone who needed parts of it.

In the meantime, I'd try to wrap it up with some electrical tape to ensure there's no vacuum leaks.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:30 AM
Staging Lane

Awesome that's all I wanted to know. I had no idea what that box was there for. I will definitely get it off of the car to eliminate the extra things in the way.

As far as the pcv system any idea how much the part costs? Also is it hard to change over to the ls6 pcv system?( I'm assuming the ls6 system is a lot more put together than the ls1 system.)
Old 10-02-2013, 10:47 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

I'm not sure what the part costs; however, the LS6 PCV conversion is just under $100. You can check out my build thread for more info on that.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:26 PM
Staging Lane

Awesome will do. Thanks for all the help!

Quick Reply: Vacuum line setup questions?