General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Air Wont Blow Through Vents

Old 10-01-2013, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air Wont Blow Through Vents

My 2000 Camaro SS only blows air through the floor vents and the windshield defogger. If i turn on the air conditioning it does the same but I need to recharge that so for now I'm just concerned about ambient air blowing through the top vents.

-Recently i tore apart my motor to install my cam,heads,fast intake manifold and removed the Air/EGR systems.

-The map sensor on the back of the intake manifold is sealed tight and the 3 port connector that goes to the back of the manifold is plugged in. (one of the ports i removed that went to the EGR so i blocked off the cut tube with RTV sealant.

- I checked for cracks and leaks on the three port valve by the PCM as shown in this link and it is fine. None of the lines appear to be cracked or chaffing against anything to show a leak.
http://autoplicity.com/products/1413...FcyZ4Aod0moAMQ
-I double checked all my vacuum lines and all are attached except the back end of the large rubber line behind the intake manifold known to crack. The other end of this tube went to the driverside large three port valve which connected to the ports on the stock exhaust manifolds.

Anyone have any tips on what to check/fix next? Thanks
Old 10-01-2013, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

Here is a picture of the only connection not connected to anything. Its the top line that splits into 2 seperate parts. The single opening on the left of the picture is not connected to anything, i figured it was fine since it went to the air system but what do you guys think?

-The hvac and brake booster lines are plugged in
Old 10-01-2013, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is your pcv lines, it goes to your ds valve cover and y's to your ps valve cover and then to the intake. The small vacuum line on the right should go to that plastic 3 way valve and one goes to the hvac box the other to the vacuum canister under the ds headlight

Last edited by jrpimp00; 10-07-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jrpimp00
that is youre pcs lines, it goes to your ds valve cover and y's to your ps valve cover and then to the intake. The small vacuum line on the right should go to that plastic 3 way valve and one goes to the hvac box the other to the vacuum canister under the ds headlight
The pcs lines only go to the throttle body, passenger side valve cover, and then i have the single port of the line just hanging there not going to anything. Would this cause my problems?

I checked that plastic 3 way valve and blew air through it to make sure it was fine. The three lines from it looked fine but i didn't tear through the convoluted tubing to make sure that they were. I saw minimal chaffing on certain spots near the driver side headlight but very minor.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

also a small amount of air is always blowing into the cabin even if all settings are turned to off. anyone got any ideas?
Old 10-09-2013, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

damn not much help eh?
Old 10-09-2013, 05:53 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If the vacuum line is attached to the hvac valve and the A/C vent vacuum line is attached to the hvac valve......the vents should operate.

The PCV system has nothing to do with the hvac vacuum system and cannot effect it in any way. If the engine is running, the hvac line will have plenty of vacuum to operate the vents, regardless of what's going on with the PCV system.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS6427
If the vacuum line is attached to the hvac valve and the A/C vent vacuum line is attached to the hvac valve......the vents should operate.

The PCV system has nothing to do with the hvac vacuum system and cannot effect it in any way. If the engine is running, the hvac line will have plenty of vacuum to operate the vents, regardless of what's going on with the PCV system.

so what could be the problem then?
Old 02-21-2014, 03:50 PM
12 Second Club

That hard vacuum line must have a crack in it somewhere. it is brittle as hell. or the rubber boot could have a slight tear, mine had that problem.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by spy2520
That hard vacuum line must have a crack in it somewhere. it is brittle as hell. or the rubber boot could have a slight tear, mine had that problem.
I looked with no luck, is there a method to fish out the crack/leak?
Old 02-22-2014, 01:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Its a vacuum leak. Most likely a line under the hood. You might also want to see if you check valve is cracked or broken.

Looks something like this and is near the heater box under the hood. It has 3 small vacuum lines on it.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HotWhipT/A
Its a vacuum leak. Most likely a line under the hood. You might also want to see if you check valve is cracked or broken.

Looks something like this and is near the heater box under the hood. It has 3 small vacuum lines on it.

I replaced that part with no luck. I need a smoke machine or something to find this leak. anyone have any tricks to sniff ing it out?
Old 03-13-2014, 01:45 PM
Staging Lane

no one has any tricks?
Old 03-19-2014, 07:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tzone21
no one has any tricks?
Go to shbox.com, there is a write up on there about this issue.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you do anything to the interior when you did all this? I had some issues with mine and it turned out that I forgot to hook up one of the bright multicolored vacuum lines behind the dash.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:26 AM

Had the same issue with an old car of mine. I just put a screw in the end of the hose where it brooke. I couldnt switch from floor vents to anything else. When i put the screw in it to create the vacuum wala it switched and worked fine. Just make sure the head of the screw is bigger that the hole on the hose otherwise you will suck the screw down.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air Wont Blow Through Vents