General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car taking awhile to crank up

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car taking awhile to crank up

my car has always had to crank over a couple seconds before it started and it's always annoyed me. I just replaced the alternator with a 200amp high output one since i have a system, and i also just bought a brand new optima yellow top today. The car is still cranking a couple seconds and then starting. any idea what other factors contribute to this? i want that instant turn of the key start. thanks
Old 11-15-2013, 09:52 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Clean the MAF with MAF cleaner......spray it only. Do not touch the sensors with anything. Say the IAT sensor in the lid with a 3-4 second shot also.

Pour a FULL can of SeaFoam into 1/8 tank of gas. No more than 1/8 tank of gas. After that 1/8 mix almost runs dry.....put a new fuel filter on.

Other than that cheap fix kind of stuff........the spark plugs could be ready for a change. That's cheap too, about $17.00, but its a bitch of a job.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:49 PM
Teching In

UPDATE:if i prime the engine 3 times before starting it, it starts up instantly. this leads me to believe i have a fuel problem, now the question is what to replace? Fuel pump? pressure regulator?
Old 11-16-2013, 06:45 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by baytrophstar
UPDATE:if i prime the engine 3 times before starting it, it starts up instantly. this leads me to believe i have a fuel problem, now the question is what to replace? Fuel pump? pressure regulator?
I would first change the fuel filter.....it could be clogged up if its old, of maybe it has come apart inside and its killing the flow.

After that.......check the fuel pressure at the rail.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS6427
I would first change the fuel filter.....it could be clogged up if its old, of maybe it has come apart inside and its killing the flow.

After that.......check the fuel pressure at the rail.

just put in a new filter today. pressure at the rail was 35psi with the key on engine off and 65psi at idle. with the key on engine off the fuel pressure would slowly decrease from 35
Old 11-16-2013, 11:03 PM
Teching In

Same issue here, Except i just replaced my fuel pump with a racetronix, before the original died, it would start 9/10 right away. Now most the time it takes a few secs to finally fire up. Fuel filter is going to get replaced soon (had it replaced less than a year ago), but i also researched it may be the fuel pressure regulator? Just not sure where its located on a car with a plastic fuel tank?

Edit: Mine fires right up when i prime it 3x
Old 11-16-2013, 11:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by baytrophstar
just put in a new filter today. pressure at the rail was 35psi with the key on engine off and 65psi at idle. with the key on engine off the fuel pressure would slowly decrease from 35
Check valve in fuel pump!!, common problem for general motors product, along wheel there wheel bearing. With it bleeding off like that is tell/tell sign, They will bleed down some but that seems excessive to me. What was your volume off rail? Should be bout 1 pint for 30seconds or I will use a 16oz Mountain Dew bottle should almost fill it in 15seconds, I have seen working with these I would get pressure but not volume. good luck

Quick Reply: Car taking awhile to crank up