General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

voltage guage on cluster reading wrong??

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 12:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default voltage guage on cluster reading wrong??

Whats up guys my cluster voltage guage is wrong compared to my volt meter cars a 2000 z28 , is this normal because it scared the crap outta me on my way home its was reading 10 volts on the cluster and the lights were diming on the cluster and my blinker was extremely slow , as of rite now ive had the car running for about 20 25min and its charging 13.9 steady on my volt meter and mu cluster is reading 12

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Old 01-24-2014, 12:38 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,071 Posts

I don't think it's reading wrong, I think you have some sort of voltage loss at or near the cluster. You mentioned diming lights and slow blinker; those things would not be happening if it was just an erroneous reading by the stock voltage gauge.

Where are you reading the 13.9v from? Directly at the battery? Or alternator?
Old 01-24-2014, 12:40 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, if your lights were dimming and the blinker was low.....you certainly had a charging issue at that time. The volt gauges on these cars are actually pretty accurate from what I've seen in 15 years. M better than others, some probably way off. But most will read right around the 13 mark when everything is working properly.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:21 PM
Teching In

Check the thin wire behind the alternator. it was a pain in my car....... check it carefully....
Old 01-24-2014, 03:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS6427
Well, if your lights were dimming and the blinker was low.....you certainly had a charging issue at that time. The volt gauges on these cars are actually pretty accurate from what I've seen in 15 years. M better than others, some probably way off. But most will read right around the 13 mark when everything is working properly.

Thanks for the help but I think I have a bad ground or a short going to the cluster because as soon as I pulled the car out of the drive way voltage dropped on the cluster so I jumped out the car and put my volt meter on it and it hadn't moved it was 14.0 13.9 so then I turned the lights on and the hazards to add more load to the system and the gauge was fluctuating really bad down to almost 10v and my volt meter was 13.8 13.9 during the whole thing so I shut the car off but forgot to turn off my hazards and every time the hazards would go off my o/p guage would jump , looks like its time to follow some wireing lol
Old 01-24-2014, 03:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RACSOZ28
Check the thin wire behind the alternator. it was a pain in my car....... check it carefully....
You mean the red wire , just soldered a new plug on

Quick Reply: voltage guage on cluster reading wrong??