General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

08 Corvette - ticking noise (with video)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 04:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Corvette - ticking noise (with video)

Hello all,

Been lurking mostly in the street encounters section. Please go easy on me

So I've been trying to find the culprit to this ticking noise for a while. The Vette is an 08 with Z51 and 6mt.

Scenario:

Whenever I make a left turn this ticking noise comes out from I believe the right side of the vehicle. No idea what it is or what's causing it. The faster I drive the faster the car "ticks". This only happens on left turns, not right turns or going straight under any circumstance.

Video:

Sorry the video is just dark as it was night time. This was when making a constant counter-clockwise turn in a parking lot with the windows down and the phone facing the passenger side door.

Attemps:
  • Tried lifting up the car to see if there are any plays with each wheels to determine if wheel bearings are gone - they all felt good. Not sure if this is a conclusive test.
  • Tried tightening the axle nuts to 140 lbs - noise still there.
  • Going to install new rear end links but from what I've read on here they're not likely the culprit

I know these Vettes make noises from time to time, but has anybody heard of anything like this? This has been an on-going problem for months. The car is out of warranty so trying to solve this one with the help of the forum
Old 01-27-2014, 05:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couldn't open the video. It could be your blower fan. Happened in a work car of mine. Pull your blower fuse and see if it goes away.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like your right wheel bearing maybe. When you turn left, the weight of the vehicle transfers to the right causing the extra load on the bearing....this is why you don't hear it while going straight or turning right. Also this is why the faster you go while turning the faster the ticks occur as the wheel is spinning faster. But this is my opinion and it's hard to tell what's going on without actually being there.

This same thing happened to my wifes Acura TL which is a common problem in those cars. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 08 Corvette - ticking noise (with video)