General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

car making a really strange noise what could it be ?? ( video included)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car making a really strange noise what could it be ?? ( video included)

Hey guys so my car makes a really strange noise and im wondering if anyone can tell me what it is. ok so when i start the car and the car is at idle it makes that noise and when i accelerate or even rev it the noise becomes louder also this tihng which i am assuming is related to the ac is leaking extremely cold water. could this be it?

car making a really strange noise what could it be ?? ( video included)-camaro-engine-thing.png
Old 03-08-2014, 09:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try removing one accy belt at a time to help isolate the noise. Maybe a squeaky pulley or belt.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep do what jrenigar said. pull serp belt off then run it and see if it is still there. then do the same with the a/c belt. that will help you narrow it down.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pour a little water on belt while running to see if it's the belt then remove it
Old 03-19-2014, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's an expensive lesson I learned recently. As phasemaster stated, while the car is running, drip some water on the main belt. If the sound goes away immediately, and then comes back, it's the main drive belt. If not, it's either the a/c circuit, or one of the pulleys on the main drive. To determine if it's the A/C circuit, remove that belt and restart. If noise is still there, then its likely to be the idler or tensioner pulley. If the noise dissapears with the a/c belt removed, it's in the a/c circuit. I replaced water pump, idler pulley and main drive belt, only to have the squeal return. Turned out to be a bad belt. I determined this with the water test, AFTER I replaced the parts! Changed over to a goodyear gatorback belt, and noise is gone.

Quick Reply: car making a really strange noise what could it be ?? ( video included)