General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

could it have been that simple? (keeping fingers crossed)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 04:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default could it have been that simple? (keeping fingers crossed)

here the last few months been having a slow leak, couldn't figure it out where it was coming from, I felt around the OPSU, nothing there. I changed the oil yesterday and at the auto parts store saw a new oil drain plug and gasket so I figured why not. Been driving for almost 2 days and no sign of any leak. Hmmm. Like I said, keeping my fingers crossed. Oh and as a side note, anyone know the correct torque for the pan plug? I felt til it was tight and gave an additional 1/8 to 1/4 turn after that. Thanks
Old 03-11-2014, 04:30 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just a good hard tug is all you need. It won't go anywhere. And it's very hard to over tighten it so its not gonna be hard to get off if you do really snug it down.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:04 PM
TECH Regular

I remember awhile back I took my Sentra to the dealer to get the oil changed, and the next time I did the oil change myself, I actually had to get a breaker bar just to get the damn thing off. SMH
Old 03-29-2014, 10:54 AM
TECH Regular

well instead of the little girl in "Poltergeist" saying "they're here" Im going to say "Its back" as in oil leak so I changed my oil this morning, drain plug looked good, but there was some oil on the bottom of the filter before I removed it, so I removed the filter and the mount for the filter looked good, no remaining seal from a previous filter. Put new filter on, dried everything up, got out the flashlight and checked the drivers side of the block as far as I could see and it was dry. So I moved under the passenger side and I found some oil on the block and the starter. just sittin here SMH. This seriously bites, its like the leak has a mind of its own, one day its there, next day its gone, etc.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Just a heads up, I had been fighting a fantom oil leak that I couldn't for the life of me find. I pulled the intake manifold thinking it was the cam or OPSU and both were dry. However, I discovered that in front of the OPSU, right where the valley cover mates to the block, I had a small trail of oil. Put a new valley cover gasket on it and my oil leak went away.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:06 PM
TECH Regular

ok, cool, thanks ddnspider, if it continues I'll look into that possibility as well.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

That was my issues a few years back. The valley cover......
Old 04-05-2014, 10:58 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Perhaps my oil leak adventure will be instructive. I thought it was the OPSU because you could see it streaming down from the top of the block above the oil filter. Well, it turned out to be the rear main seal and housing gasket.

After that, I still had a leak from the oil filter area. After tightening the filter, it turned out to be from the block off plate (for oil cooler) above the filter. I bought a new seal but that caused a horrendous leak. The new style seal dealers are selling is WAY different from the original - be forewarned. A new plate with the original gasket solved it.

Quick Reply: could it have been that simple? (keeping fingers crossed)