General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Crazy alternator problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Crazy alternator problem

I have had an ongoing chirping noise from the belt area in my 98 TA. I took off the a/c belt and still had the chirp, so it was narrowed down to the main drive. Replaced the belt twice, tensioner, idler, power steering pump, harmonic balancer, and now alternator. Chirp is still loud as ever.

Before replacing the alternator, I was getting solid 14+ volts at all times. I tried cleaning the old one and when I removed it, I broke the red exciter wire, that little bastard. I spliced in a new connector, put in the cleaned up old alternator, to get only 11v on the gauge, and confirmed at the battery.

Figured it was for sure a bad alternator, put in a reman Duralast alternator. Still stuck at 11v. The crazy thing is I have no driveability problems, even at night. I don't know what else it could be besides the exciter wire connection, I just crimped the old into the new one without soldering. Any ideas!?

EDIT: Found that I connected the wrong wire out of the 4 wires on the new alternator connector. It needs to be the 2nd from the left

Last edited by WSs1ck; 03-17-2014 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They sell belt quietner at your local parts store (auto zone O'riley etc) try that and see if it helps.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do not purchase remanufactured parts. Only buy new alternators, remans are junk and have poor quality control

Quick Reply: Crazy alternator problem