General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Unintended Acceleration by my Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 11:43 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Default Unintended Acceleration by my Firebird

99 Firebird Formula; M6; no TCS

I've been having issues with my cruise control randomly cutting off during highway driving for the past year. Fixing it has been on my to-do list but it's greatly moved up in priority now that my car (twice) has randomly engaged the cruise control without me commanding it to do so. Now that the car has gone all Toyota on me, things aren't so good. (The car acclerating itself is a little unnerving...)

Has anyone had this happen to them? If so, did you have to change the cruise module? I am going to check the wiring and electrical connector for corrosion, but that's all I can think of aside from something internal to the module.

When the car cuts out, it remembers the last set speed, so (assuming that the random cut-out and random engagement are related) I'm pretty sure the problem is not due to any of the switches on the turn signal stalk or the pedal cut-off switches.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My car would engage the cruise years ago during a 98 mile highway drive. It would only occur if I held the speed constant for about 10 minutes, and the cruise was set ON. Eventually I'd feel the pedal pull away from my foot and the next thing I know the cruise was set. I opened a thread on here but nobody was able to assist.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id cut the freaken cruise control cable if mine did that..
Old 04-04-2014, 07:03 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by _JB_
My car would engage the cruise years ago during a 98 mile highway drive. It would only occur if I held the speed constant for about 10 minutes, and the cruise was set ON. Eventually I'd feel the pedal pull away from my foot and the next thing I know the cruise was set. I opened a thread on here but nobody was able to assist.
Did anything change, or did it just stop doing it?
Old 04-04-2014, 07:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by wssix99
Did anything change, or did it just stop doing it?
I moved and the car has never done it again since I don't have that flat, long drive anymore. I always assumed it was some type of auto cruise if the throttle %, RPM, and speed all stayed constant for X amount of time. Here's the thread I made about it back in 2006: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...e-control.html
Old 04-04-2014, 10:24 AM
Save the manuals!

It's definitely not an auto cruise feature. The only thing that should activate the control is a positive input from the turn signal stalk.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:05 AM
TECH Junkie

It's definitely not an auto cruise feature. The only thing that should activate the control is a positive input from the turn signal stalk.
I agree, but if it was an electrical issue I'm sure something would have came up now after 8 years lol. What were you doing when your cruise turned on?
Old 04-04-2014, 12:34 PM
Save the manuals!

It happened while coasting down a highway after using the cruise for 1-2 hours and then during stop and go driving in a downtown area after a 3 hour drive.

The previous cut-outs also happen after going down the highway with the cruise engaged for a while.

I'm thinking that something in the cruise control module must be acting up as the circuitry heats up.

... this would be a lot more cool if the car talked to me, had a laser scanner in the grille, and came with a Turbo Boost button.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:35 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

... this would be a lot more cool if the car talked to me, had a laser scanner in the grille, and came with a Turbo Boost button.
Be careful what you wish for, as you might not like what the car has to say.

But Super Pursuit Mode would probably be pretty fun.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:38 PM
Save the manuals!

I think my car would first tell me that I shouldn't use the cruise control.

I'm kicking around rigging some LEDs to the cruise control connector so I can see what's happening to the inputs when this stuff happens. (To confirm if its internal, or not.) I did a quick price check on a module and I saw one for sale pushing $400. ouch - I definitely don't want to trial-and-error that part.

This is probably one of those things where a bunch of us will have to run in to trees due to this issue before they step in? (Fortunately, I am of a vintage where we were taught to deal with sticking gas pedals, etc. in driver's ed.)
Old 04-05-2014, 05:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Stop and go traffic would definitely worry me. When I moved to FL I drove straight through (minus gas stops) and the cruise worked fine for 15ish total hours. How easy can you recreate the issue? If the cruise is kicking off, maybe check the pedal switches. I wonder if vacuum has anything to do with it? Maybe hook up a vacuum gauge as well and monitor it (I'm assuming the cruise is vacuum operated).
Old 04-06-2014, 07:32 AM
Save the manuals!

I first thought vacuum, but our system is completely electronic... and expensive.

The problem is totally random at this point. I first thought about the cutoff switches, but the phantom activation is the thing that is really puzzling.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Replace the turn signal stalk we ve had a few customer complaints through the years for this problem but could not duplicate it on test drive. We replaced stalk and they have not been back and we have had the cars in for other service and have asked and it never acted up after repair
Old 04-14-2014, 05:46 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Replace the turn signal stalk we ve had a few customer complaints through the years for this problem but could not duplicate it on test drive. We replaced stalk and they have not been back and we have had the cars in for other service and have asked and it never acted up after repair
My thought was to see if the problem got worse and then unplug the stalk to isolate it. The thing I can't understand with the stalk being bad is that there is no switch or input on the stalk that cuts off the cruise and keep the speed in memory. You can only turn it off and erase the memory with the stalk.

Quick Reply: Unintended Acceleration by my Firebird