General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

02 WS6 Headlight motors and ABS INOP

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 01:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 WS6 Headlight motors and ABS INOP

So my buddy just bought an 02 WS6 six speed. The headlights are stuck in the up position. I took a look at the wiring, and two wires are coming out of what i believe to be each headlight motor. It looks like each has a white wire with black stripes and a green wire with white stripes. On each motor the green wire is cut.... Could this be the culprit?

And as far as the ABS INOP light on the dash, i know that could be any number of things. I was hoping you guys could give us an idea of where to start with that.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice that might come of this....
Old 04-22-2014, 01:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LunaCHRIS
On each motor the green wire is cut.... Could this be the culprit?
not to sound like a dick but do you really need to ask if a cut wire in a harness is why said thing is not working?

Yes, it is likely the reason for them not working, what is also very likely is the headlight gears are stripped and the cheap SOB of a Previous Owner raised the lights and cut the harness instead of fixing it properly, with the under $100 metal gear kits (for both sides).
Old 04-22-2014, 02:18 AM
Teching In

Hey man, I've got a Camaro. For a reason, I don't like pop up headlights.....
So having never owned a TA I was just asking for my coworker. I was just putting it out there hoping someone with a TA who has experience with the lights would be able to be like, "yeah the green wire ............"

I don't know the wiring for the motors for the headlights.....

ANyway, you got any input on ABS INOP???????????

I'm on page 8 of this, so far -->
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...rac-off-8.html
and so far noone has come to a conclusion on the problem.

Thanks for the response though.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:32 AM
Teching In

Well it seems this is a likely candidate for a fix, if anyone is interested.

Posted by:braveplayer3160

, "I just thought I would share... I have a 98 LS1 w traction control (4 Channel) and I had the same problem most others hear are having. I noticed that my ABS INOP, Brake, and ASR lights would come on intermittently about six months ago. When it first started it was not an imediate thing, I would start the car (no lights) and within a few miles the lights (mentioned above) would all come on.

Over time the problem persisted but the lights started to come on as soon as I started the vehicle (and it was no longer intermittent) I checked everything I could think of (as many people here did) and had no luck. I changed both front hub bearings (they were starting to make noise) removed and cleaned the rear sensors & checked all wiring.NOTHING.

Then I pulled the electrical connector from the EBCM and noticed that one of the pins looked a bit black and corroded. I used a fine bristle brush and cleaned the area and applied some die-electric grease to the sealing portion of the connector and reassembled. NOTHING.

From there I went about finding a used EBCM (Remember 98's are year specific and you have to also make sure you purchase one with or w/o Trac control) I finally found one for a reasonable price and purchased it.

I didnt want to have to disconnect the brake lines and bleed the system so I put off installing the EBCM and left well enough alone. Then today I was in my garage and stumbled across the box and I began looking at it (EBCM) I noticed that there were 2 halves to the unit. The computer half and the proportioning block half (the part the fluid goes through) They were held together by 6 torx screws. I removed allsix (along with the electrical connector at the bottom) and removed the computer half.

I went outside and did the same with the until that was installed on my car (took about 5 minutes) compared the two (part no.) and then replaced the one I had removed from my car with the used one I had purchased off here. I replaced the 6 torq screws connected the electrical connector,started the car and BOOM! Lights all off!

This job can be completed by most anyone (if you have exhausted all methods of properly diagnosing the problem) and it is relatively inexpensive. I paid $30.00 for the EBCM shipped the torx screwdriver set can be had for 10-15.00 at most any parts store and it takes about 15 minutes (if you really take your time) I have been driving my car for approximately a month and still have no problems and the brakes work great. Hope this helps someone."

And, Josh40601 posted,

"Well, as I stated before, the ABS and ASR lights were on in my 01 SS, so I started asking around and had a friend who works for GM plug the computer in and found out the brain in the ABS controller was bad. I got on eBay and started looking for gently used controllers. Since the controller itself is a PIA to change unless you have the computer GM uses to bleed the box, I did one of the simplest fixes. Just take the "brain" off using a T20 torx bit and simply replaced it. Reset the computer by leaving the battery disconnected for 2 minutes, and now it works perfect with no lights! Hopefully this will help anyone else who has this problem.... I also did some research and found out that the box itself rarely ever goes bad, its always the brain."

So if all your wheel speed sensors have been replaced and you've still got the light, this may be the fix. I'll be showing this to my buddy tomorrow at work.

Please post if you've got experience with this.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

your best bet on the ABS is to have it scanned, the problem is most obd scanners won't read it, you need to find somewhere that has a REALLY NICE scanner to read the EBCM codes to find out where you should start looking in terms of what to replace before you just start throwing parts at it.

it could be anything from a bad wheel sensor to the EBCM, you could start with a visual inspection of the wheel hubs (one guy on here actually had the sensor cap detach from the rest of the front hub assembly) and if you can't see anything then move on to finding a place that can scan it.

Originally Posted by LunaCHRIS
Hey man, I've got a Camaro. For a reason, I don't like pop up headlights.....
So having never owned a TA I was just asking for my coworker. I was just putting it out there hoping someone with a TA who has experience with the lights would be able to be like, "yeah the green wire ............"

I don't know the wiring for the motors for the headlights.....
you really don't need to know the wiring, if the high beams and low beams work and it doesn't go up and down then that cut wire must have something to do with the power to the motors, any which way a cut wire in a harness is always the first thing to fix when something connected to the harness doesn't work right.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:51 PM
Teching In

Yeah I figured as much. After reading through the thread i posted above (not even all the way through yet), it seems like the ABS INOP is one of the harder things to diagnose on our cars. I told him to go get all his fluids changed including diff. and go to a brake place like meineke and see if he can get the car scanned for the ABS codes. If not he's gonna have to go to the dealership and get it scanned there.

But after all the reading I've done (so far) alot of people have been chasing the source of this problem for some years. With intermittent success with replacing sensors and what not.

He got a good deal on the car, and it's what he's wanted for a while. It just needs these problems taken care of so he can really enojoy it.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:26 PM
Teching In

I have the same problem with my 2002 Firehawk I just bought. I have an 02 SS as well and have been switching parts to find the problem but I'm getting frustrated with this. I even tried the electrical part of my ebcm and rear wheel sensors- no luck. Please post what it was when you guys figure it out and I will do the same.

Quick Reply: 02 WS6 Headlight motors and ABS INOP