General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

LS1 Serpentine Belt keeps Hopping

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 01:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Serpentine Belt keeps Hopping

My 2000 TA's serpentine belt has been giving me lots of problems lately. Since swapping the tensioner pulley to a Katech unit (I also run the TurnOne Powersteering pump/pulley) and the brand new belt I put on it started squealing like crazy. I drove it for about a week, routinely checking on it to make sure it wasn't shredding itself or hopping off, then all of a sudden it sheared into bits as I was driving down the highway, this past Saturday. I had another, older belt in the car as a just-in-case backup, and was able to make it to the store and buy another new one. Now the new belt has been hopping on the pulleys, but the squeal is completely gone. Any ideas what it could be? And how big of a predicament is it hopping? The car is my warm weather DD, so I need some ideas asap please!
Old 04-25-2014, 07:12 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's either an alignment issue, something seizing up or a damaged pulley. Have you looked at the balancer to make sure it isn't coming apart or loose?
Old 04-25-2014, 08:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ND2RACE
There's either an alignment issue, something seizing up or a damaged pulley. Have you looked at the balancer to make sure it isn't coming apart or loose?
This... Or a newly installed pulley out of round a bit and causing the belt to jump off the grooved area a bit at higher than idle RPM.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

im wondering about the alignment on the powersterring pulley . Also do you have your factory tensioner , throw that back on a see what happens. Its quick and easy to change.

Quick Reply: LS1 Serpentine Belt keeps Hopping