General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Looks like my factory P/S cooler crapped out

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looks like my factory P/S cooler crapped out

Well, it gave the TA about 130k miles worth of service, but unless my pretty red P/S fluid just turns to a milky honey color on its own, then my cooler failed me. I converted away from the Dexcool and use Peak Green anti-freeze, so green anti-freeze + red P/S fluid = new yellow fluid!

My coolant level light came on, and that is what alerted me to it. I just checked it on Monday too......surprisingly my coolant doesn't look bad. I guess I should go ahead and flush and refill that too though.

Seeing that my car is an M6, I guess I will just do away with the cooler completely. Here are a couple pics:

Old 04-25-2014, 02:53 PM
Launching!

Just bypassed mine. I ended up buying a napa powersteering cooler and mounting it down by my front airdam.

It's a simple but messy fix. Just buy the upper radiator hose for non power steering cars.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

Thats what I think I am gonna do.....just buy the hose and call it a day. I don't have the suspension to drive hard in the corners now anyway. Maybe once I get that done, I will add the cooler. For now I think that should be fine.....but what a PITA.

I also came across a stripped wheel lug spline the other day when I was swapping out wheels, so I gotta pull the damn axle out to fix that. Might as well install some longer ARP studs I suppose while I am in there.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i can't see your pics at the moment,
if you pull your power steering cooler pipe out of the upper radiator hoses, can you cut it up and find out what failed?
I'd like to know what causes a hole to happen in that aluminum.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
i can't see your pics at the moment,
if you pull your power steering cooler pipe out of the upper radiator hoses, can you cut it up and find out what failed?
I'd like to know what causes a hole to happen in that aluminum.

I most definitely will. I had heard the stories about this cooler, and always wondered when mine when go just so I could figure out what the hell is happening. I am gonna take a good look at it when I pull it and find the best way to dissect it. I probably won't be able to get to it until Monday at the earliest though
Old 04-25-2014, 06:06 PM
Teching In

I've been there. By the time I figured it out and flushed the fluid it looked like peanut butter. Still working on getting the build-up out of the system and it's been going on three months now. Finally put a filter in and am on the second one now and it's finally looking like it should. The springs on the p/s cap were even rusty so it had definitely been going on a while. Will probably end up replacing the pump anyways as when it gets warm I can still hear the pump whining.

As far as what fails it's a two piece unit that bolts together with passageways inside going from one end to the other. I took mine apart and even though I couldn't see any evidence of it I would bet that the seal where the two halves mate together goes bad. You can even see the flange in the picture where they're bolted together (if you can see the picture that is).

It's not a big deal to put a radiator in and mount it down behind the radiator dam.

Quick Reply: Looks like my factory P/S cooler crapped out