General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Weird noise from rear of vehicle, video inside

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Weird noise from rear of vehicle, video inside

I have been having some weird noises coming from the rear of my 2001 T/A and I can't quite track it down. It is a metallic rattling noise and it comes and goes seemingly at random. Sometimes it will do it when cold, the next time when warmed up. Sometimes it does it while cruising, sometimes it only does it when slowing down and coming to a stop. At first I thought it was maybe a loose heat shield by the fuel tank or maybe even something with the exhaust, but I just put on an SLP Loudmouth system this weekend and everything was tight. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm open for them! Specs on car: 2001 Trans Am, Auto, 83k miles, at the time of the video it had stock exhaust with a cutout.

The noise kicks in around 10 seconds, I left the first part of the video in so you could distinguish what the typical road noise sounds like. I go over a speed bump and to a stop sign halfway through the video. After I accelerate the noise comes back again before I turn into my driveway.

Last edited by TechCam97; 06-02-2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

No one?
Old 07-02-2014, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it were me I would check my differential fluid make sure that baby has not run empty. I personally have a hard time hearing it but it actually reminds me of two pieces of metal that are not bound up yet but are running bare against each other. Check your calipers make sure one of them hasn't locked up either, you could have one that has gone to the ******* and is not releasing all the way, so in other words brake pad dragging against rotor. Just some thoughts.

Quick Reply: Weird noise from rear of vehicle, video inside