General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power steering cooler repair/replacement/upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 09:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Power steering cooler repair/replacement/upgrade

I did not really find any videos on youtube about replacing the stock Power Steering cooling with an aftermarket one, so I made one this weekend. This work is performed on a 2001 WS6. It is very simple to do and it should not take you more than 30 minutes.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:15 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Nice job. ... and with the added bonus of Mötley Crüe and Michael Jackson!
Old 06-06-2014, 09:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
Nice job. ... and with the added bonus of Mötley Crüe and Michael Jackson!
Thank you and it is a necessity to have good music playing
Old 06-07-2014, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice job! I'm actually going to be doing this install today myself. Need to hunt down the oem radiator upper hose as autozone "couldn't find it".

What made you opt for installing the radiator on the actual air dam itself? I'd be afraid whenever I scrape it I could pop those ties. That's just my thoughts.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just curious, how much of a benefit is the steering cooler? ive seen alot of threads about em, just wondered how much/what they help prevent.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JDEP162
just curious, how much of a benefit is the steering cooler? ive seen alot of threads about em, just wondered how much/what they help prevent.
I suppose since gm took the time to put it one on these cars then I'm sure it's somewhat necessary. My old 99 t/a didn't have one and the power steering once actually starting to whine when turning the wheel and so I replaced the fluid and that made it go away but the fluid smelled pretty burnt.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cpt.Derrek
Very nice job! I'm actually going to be doing this install today myself. Need to hunt down the oem radiator upper hose as autozone "couldn't find it".

What made you opt for installing the radiator on the actual air dam itself? I'd be afraid whenever I scrape it I could pop those ties. That's just my thoughts.
I was not very worried about scraping because of where I drive it and the condition of my roads at home. Plus the car is at the stock height.

Dayco Curved Radiator Hose. Part No. E71981

Have them cross the part number from Advance Auto with other available parts at Autozone
Old 06-09-2014, 05:37 PM
12 Second Club

IF you either autocross, or open track/road race/HPDE your car. it IS necessary, if it is a weekend only use garage queen/toy, or a drag race ONLY car, it is not needed.

If it were me though, and I lived in one of the southern tier, or desert southwestern states, I would have one no matter HOW I use the car.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:57 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

There is also extensive discussion of these topics in this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...g-success.html
Old 06-09-2014, 11:58 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

I don't think there is much benefit at all to the stock cooler, at least with a stock t-stat and stock fan settings. If you have your cooling system set up to run significantly cooler than stock, then you may in fact see an actual benefit from it under certain conditions. I did some testing of this in the other thread linked by wssix99.

Originally Posted by Cpt.Derrek
I suppose since gm took the time to put it one on these cars then I'm sure it's somewhat necessary. My old 99 t/a didn't have one and the power steering once actually starting to whine when turning the wheel and so I replaced the fluid and that made it go away but the fluid smelled pretty burnt.
In certain extreme climates or types of usage, I suppose it might actually do something, even with stock t-stat and fan settings.

For the most part, I wouldn't count on it doing much (if anything) to prolong the life of a stock PS pump used under normal street conditions in an average climate though. My '02 had the stock cooler and the pump started to whine on that one as it aged as well. Disconnecting the cooler didn't make the condition any worse during the next 1+ year that I owned the car afterward.

If you need REAL cooling for purposes of competition/road racing and/or an oppressively hot climate, go with one of the aftermarket air/fluid coolers.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 06-10-2014 at 12:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Power steering cooler repair/replacement/upgrade