General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Lets talk about Oxygen Sensors! Which one to choose?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets talk about Oxygen Sensors! Which one to choose?

before I put the car away last year the rear o2 sensor was throwing codes (can't remember which code it was)

My car has been tuned

Going to install the 1 7/8 speed engineering LT's and ORY

figured this would be a good time to replace the O2's or is it?

I've read that you want to run the new headers for a hundred miles or so to heat them up really well and let anything burn off that could cause a problem with new oxygen sensors, or is that a myth?

was searching all over the internet on O2 sensors, some people say don't run the Bosch some say run the Delphi? others say run Bosch.. lot of confusion and can't find clear answers!

I was looking at ordering the Bosch 13111's for corvette's so I wouldnt need to order O2 extensions, but I'm pretty sure those are the ones I'm currently running now. not 100% sure because I don't have access to my car at the moment. I remember the wires were long so I had to zip tie a little bit, and that they were a matte orange color.

review: buy new Bosch 13111's and install them same time as the new LT's & ORY and be fine?

other options ??
Old 06-20-2014, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I ordered new Delphi ones from rock auto when I did my full kooks exhaust, no problems at all in my coated 1 7/8 headers so I would call it a myth.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Undertow74
I ordered new Delphi ones from rock auto when I did my full kooks exhaust, no problems at all in my coated 1 7/8 headers so I would call it a myth.
are you running o2 extensions?

have a part number for the Delphi's?
Old 06-20-2014, 08:04 PM
TECH Addict

don't know about these cars, but my vote is for NTK as they are the same company as NGK that makes the best spark plugs on the market, speaking of spark plugs, you should do them while the exhaust is out to make it easier.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Actually I went with ac delco sensors AFS123 right side AFS98 left side. My rear o2's I have tuned out. These are the pre cat sensors.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

And yes, do not splice the o2 wires will cause erratic readings due to more resistance in the wires, get the correct extension harness
Old 06-21-2014, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

I'm doing the same header install too, when they arrive.

From all the research I've been doing Denso, AC Delco, and Delphi are pretty much the same. Have read that Bosch blows, but not from my own experience.

A member on here swears that Denso 234-4025 16" will work without an extension but I cant confirm that O2 would work for us.

Heres a breakdown of what Ive gathered, prices are ballpark:

Denso Camaro front: 234-4025/$30
Denso Corvette rear: 234-4617/$43

Delphi Camaro front: ES20002/$40
Delphi Corvette rear: ES20003/$50

NGK/NTK Camaro front(I think might be labeled as left or right and another part number for opposite): 21528/$41
NGK/NTK Corvette rear: 21537/$47

AC Delco are Denso in AC Delco packaging I believe but more $$$
Prices are
$37 for Camaro front
$48 for Corvette rear

I think I might go with a Camaro O2 and extension which Id rather not but its more cost efficient in the long run. With the 02s you pay more for longer wires. Denso also seems the way to go cost wise and are supposedly very good.

Hope this helps info was gathered from about 20+ threads haha
Old 06-21-2014, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks so much! I appreciate it. I'm not running any cats though

the harness extension is an extra $80 with the LT's order so If I can get the corvette ones that are already long enough that would be a lot more cost effective right?

I don't think i will replace all of them, when I was having code problems it was the rear left bank but im going to replace both rears for security

Last edited by Ellsworth; 06-21-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:45 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went with ACDelco Corvette sensors -- 213-810 currently $48 shipped on Amazon.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by demonspeed
I went with ACDelco Corvette sensors -- 213-810 currently $48 shipped on Amazon.
and you didn't have to run an extension for the rear?

seems like a solid deal!
Old 06-22-2014, 08:23 AM
TECH Resident

I am going through this right now myself, sense I thought my Engine Sense fuse blowing was caused by my 02 sensors. I have TSP 1 7/8" LT with offload Y pipe. Before I started blowing the fuse my 02's were lazy at idle and did not switch well. They are almost 20 years old anyway so its time to replace them.

I did some testing of my own, The more heat you can get to the sensors the better they will work.

I took 3 sensors and wired them up to a very expensive DC power supply that I use at work that would allow me to look at Voltage, Current, and Wattage. I also put a Thermocouple on the tip of each sensor to see how hot they got.

-The first sensor was one of my stock AC delcos.

At 13.7 Volts it pulled about 1 Amp/10 watts and got up to 280 degrees F. This is not very hot, could just be becasue it was so old, I dont know.

-Next sensor was a Bosch 15733, Planar type, Universal

At 13.7 Volts it pulled about .8 Amps/9 Watts and got up to 315-330 degrees F.

-The next sensor was a Bosch 15732, Universal. This is the same sensor that you would get if you bought the stock Bosch replacement for our cars.

At 13.7 Volts it pulled 1.2 Amps/14 Watts and got up to a little over 500 degrees F.

I ended up going with the stock replacement upstream sensors, Bosch, and they are working fine and switching at idle now. I think the people that bash the Bosch sensors have other issues going on and when something doesn't work right they are quick to blame the sensors.

Since my stock sensors needed to be replaced anyway, I wanted to see what it took voltage wise to get them to 500 degrees F. It took 24 VDC to get them that hot.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:41 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by Ellsworth
and you didn't have to run an extension for the rear?

seems like a solid deal!
Yup -- just plug right in and no extensions are needed.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ellsworth
Thanks so much! I appreciate it. I'm not running any cats though

the harness extension is an extra $80 with the LT's order so If I can get the corvette ones that are already long enough that would be a lot more cost effective right?

I don't think i will replace all of them, when I was having code problems it was the rear left bank but im going to replace both rears for security
$80 for the extensions? What are they made of Myrrh?

Speed Eng. has 12" and 24" exts. for $23 http://www.speedengineeringlsx.com/c...-camaro-109007 and they offer 18" exts. with the header order for $40. So you're saving a few bucks.

The rear Corvettes work without one.

You'll just need two o2s from the front harness, the rear ones get deleted thru tune or sensor sim.

I don't have cats either. To be safe I'm probably gonna go with rear Corvettes at first, as I don't know exactly how long the wiring needs to be.

But I look at it like this.

You pay for the extensions once($40ish for two), get front o2s for $30-40/pc.
You get Corvette rear o2s for $45-50/pc.
If you need to replace them you save in the long run with front o2s and exts.

Sure its $10-20/pc. but that's just how I'm looking at it.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

You can also do this PCM pin swap

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/1425078-lt-header-guys-no-more-extensions-corvette-o2s.html

Good read and great idea!

No extensions, no corvette rear o2s. Rear o2 wires swapped to the fronts and visa versa.

Tune out rear o2s as usually.

BOOM Baby!

Think this is now the route I'm going down.

1/2 hr of work and save $$$ on future sensors.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:01 PM
12 Second Club

ARE the Delphis and Delcos made by NTK, or Denso (or could it be either, depending on when they are bought)???

What are the suggestions for STOCK exhaust manifolds and stock/OEM type replacement catcons, since extensions and longer wires are not only not needed, but possibly a detriment?

BTW; I have the C.A.R.B./LEV O2 calibrations in my ECM, so the codes are thrown VERY easily with even 'lazy', or slightly out of range O2s, and/or 49 state catcons.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:15 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by dailydriver
ARE the Delphis and Delcos made by NTK, or Denso (or could it be either, depending on when they are bought)???

What are the suggestions for STOCK exhaust manifolds and stock/OEM type replacement catcons, since extensions and longer wires are not only not needed, but possibly a detriment?

BTW; I have the C.A.R.B./LEV O2 calibrations in my ECM, so the codes are thrown VERY easily with even 'lazy', or slightly out of range O2s, and/or 49 state catcons.
I'd stick with ACDelco in your situation. Keep in mind that even if a particular sensor is made by another company, OEM will be made to particular specifications to meet certain standards that the same company (NTK, for example) might not meet for their own retail line.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:41 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also recommend sticking with AC delco o2 sensors. I actually purchased a set of Denso's originally on ebay because of a great price. Installed them and the same check engine light appeared after less then a typical drive cycle. I began to get frustrated and I had an inspection to pass. I brought it to the mechanic thinking I had a short somewhere and it turned out he replaced it with AC delco 02 sensor and it solved my issue. Just thought i'd share after all the hell I had to go thru to pass inspection this year.

Quick Reply: Lets talk about Oxygen Sensors! Which one to choose?