General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Threw a belt and coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 07:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Threw a belt and coolant leak

I was driving home last night and noticed I lost my power steering. I limped a mile or so and parked it. I found the belt off and coolant had leaked all over the engine bay. I also saw that I was dripping a good amount of coolant into the parking lot. I got it towed home. Is there any way to know if I did some damage? If so, what are the likely results?
Old 07-03-2014, 08:09 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Your power steering cooler (which is in-line with the upper radiator hose) most likely gave out and started leaking. Although usually they fail into the coolant and mix PS fluid and coolant together. Sounds like yours failed outward and both coolant and PS fluid leaked out and your PS pump seized up and that's why the belt was thrown.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:18 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not sure if it changes things, but I just added an aftermarket AC which uses the main belt. I found the belt had been torn along one of the grooves which made me think something wasn't aligned properly. However, if it is the ps cooler, is fixing that major surgery?

And by the way, the vehicle is a 67 Chevelle that I dropped an 04 GTO LS1/T56 into (if that helps).
Old 07-03-2014, 08:45 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Oh, well that might change things unless you used the F-Body PS cooler setup.

The added A/C load could have frayed the belt. But the PS cooler wouldn't have seized from extra load. Did you have PS fluid leak out? Or just coolant? Did the car overheat?
Old 07-03-2014, 09:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your belt may have been a little loose, or your tensioner may be worn out. Your belt most likely jumped one of the pulleys and the edge of the pulley split your belt and tore it apart. You lost power steering because the pump wasn't being spun. I would check the pulley alignment with a straight edge between your compressor and the accessories on either side of it. I have read of people needing a belt 1" shorter than the bracket manufacturer suggests- the last three digits of the belt's part number tells you it's length 865= 86.5". You should be able to rent a radiator tester from a auto parts store and see where the leak is, the belt probly cut a hose but may have punctured your radiator.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:41 PM
Super Hulk Smash

I agree with that, especially if no PS fluid was lost.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:36 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys. I couldn't find any power steering leak. I already ordered a belt that is 1/2" shorter. It got hot but not way up - temp gauge said 210-215. I was just worried about doing damage to the engine. I haven't had time to get under the car and even see where the coolant came from
Old 07-04-2014, 02:57 AM
Staging Lane

Any ideas on where the coolant came from? I'm hoping my radiator didn't crack.

Also, I'm not running a power steering cooler. Maybe I need to get one? I've read some reviews that it's not necessary
Old 07-04-2014, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When your belt came off it most likely cut a radiator hose, if have the coolant crossover hose going to your radiator(it's a small hose that comes off a small pipe connecting your heads) that would be my first guess since it's the smallest. You should fill your radiator with water(pour it down the top hose to fill the block) to find the leak, the tester I was talking about has a connector that replaces your radiator cap and comes with a hand pump, you only need about 12pounds of pressure to find the leak. After you replace the hose or fix the leak fill your system with antifreeze mix.
Attached Thumbnails Threw a belt and coolant leak-image.jpg  

Last edited by Mike_hawk; 07-04-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:47 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Is this an internal or external section issue?
Old 07-06-2014, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

Probably external now that you bring it up. Sorry for posting in the wrong section
Old 07-06-2014, 07:46 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

No worries, this hardly warrants a wet noodle lashing.

I'm with Hawk on this, when the belt let loose, it ripped through some hose somewhere.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:28 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys. You were right on the mark as usual. New belt and swapped out the main radiator hose and I'm back up and running. I also took a good look at the pulley system with the new ac setup and think that may have been the culprit. I shimmed out one pulley and it lines up much better now.

Quick Reply: Threw a belt and coolant leak