General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Hatch won't close(not the same old problem)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hatch won't close(not the same old problem)

Went to close the hatch on our 99 SS and it wouldn't close. Of course I tried the push the latch open with a screwdriver, but that wouldn't work. I pulled the entire assembly and brought it to the bench and it still would not shut.

After messing with it a while, I removed the hatch release acuator and heard a click. Reinstalled it without the release actuator and it closed perfectly. I then looked over the acuator and noticed that when the small motor pulls the acuator in to unlock the hatch, it is for some reason(that I cant figure out, even after I took the acuator apart) it won't release enough to allow the hatch to lock closed.

I reinstalled it and it is the same thing over and over. No actuator I can open it with the key all day long, reinstall the actuator and it won't release. I even powered the actuator with it not hooked up and it pulls in, but doesn't slide back.(I cant even force it back out)

I just don't understand what is broke as everything seems OK, but obviously isn't.

Called the local parts store and they don't sell the acuator at all....

Advice?
Old 09-18-2014, 12:39 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NufNuffZ28
Went to close the hatch on our 99 SS and it wouldn't close. Of course I tried the push the latch open with a screwdriver, but that wouldn't work. I pulled the entire assembly and brought it to the bench and it still would not shut.

After messing with it a while, I removed the hatch release acuator and heard a click. Reinstalled it without the release actuator and it closed perfectly. I then looked over the acuator and noticed that when the small motor pulls the acuator in to unlock the hatch, it is for some reason(that I cant figure out, even after I took the acuator apart) it won't release enough to allow the hatch to lock closed.

I reinstalled it and it is the same thing over and over. No actuator I can open it with the key all day long, reinstall the actuator and it won't release. I even powered the actuator with it not hooked up and it pulls in, but doesn't slide back.(I cant even force it back out)

I just don't understand what is broke as everything seems OK, but obviously isn't.

Called the local parts store and they don't sell the acuator at all....

Advice?
There is a small solenoid in that assembly, correct? Wonder if that went bad?
Worst case there are replacement assemblies on ebay for $15.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe the solenoid retails for about $30 at the Gm dealership parts counter. So if anything the gm parts department should be able to get you the correct part number.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pulled a latch assembly from another SS. Fixed the problem!

I was just wondering if anyone else had the issue. It seemed strange. The motor in there worked fine..... and nothing was broken. It just didn't retract after it unlocked the trunk.

Thanks guys

Quick Reply: Hatch won't close(not the same old problem)