General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Recoemended Maintenance on 28K LS1 ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Recoemended Maintenance on 28K LS1 ?

Picked up a 98 WS6 Vert with 28K miles in June. Last owner had since 2006 and put on about 4K miles or so if I recall.

Anyway I have done some preventative maintenance including: O/F (syth), coolant, brake, PS fluid etc. I was considering at least doing a tranny drain, fill and filter and also the rear diff w/ proper limited slip additive. Just wanted to see what other's would do on a car with ~30K miles. Was not sure if the tranny/diff is really necessary or if anything else is really needed. Thanks.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:09 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,058 Posts

For a '98 you have the Auburn rear. I think the factory recommendation is to change the fluid at 7500 miles (this is a different type of limited slip than what is found in the '99+ cars). So you are overdue for this, if it was never done before. 80w90 conventional gear lube with the GM LSD additive is recommended for the '98/Auburn.

Sounds like you are pretty much up to date on most other maintenance already. It certainly wouldn't hurt to drop the trans pan and do a filter change/fluid refill either.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:10 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Father Time is not kind to rubber seals, especially if the vehicle hasn't been used much.

I'll bet the shocks, if original, are at the end of their lives. I'd also watch the P/S and water pumps for weeping/noise. I'd also think about removing the P/S cooler if one was installed on your car.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks RPM WS6 and wssix99 for the tips.

Ended up doing the rear diff yesterday....went smoothly except at the end for some reason I ended up dumping gear oil all over my concrete driveway (missed drip pan)...just one of those days.

As far as the shocks, PS and water pump don't seem to be any issues as far as I know of. It does look like I will need a battery in the near future....current AC delco after about an hr or less of listening to the radio car won't start...I like the clean look of the AC delco but I am thinking it is a premium $$$ over a Autozone or Advanced Auto. Oh well. Next is to dump the tranny fluid and fitter....hopefully I won't make as much of a mess
Old 10-18-2014, 10:34 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by y2k600f4
As far as the shocks, PS and water pump don't seem to be any issues as far as I know of.
Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about PS or water pump, especially if the coolant has been regularly changed and the PS cooler hasn't started leaking yet (I would delete the cooler if it were mine, there is a sticky at the top of this section that explains this further). I had more leaks/drips/seeps/weeps develop on my daily driven 100k+ mile LS1 than I ever have with my garage queen 17k mile LS1, even though the low mileage car is several years older.

Shocks weren't that great from the factory, so it never hurts to upgrade those if you're looking for ride quality improvement.

Quick Reply: Recoemended Maintenance on 28K LS1 ?