General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

1999 Camaro ls1 smells like coolant but no leaks

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Camaro ls1 smells like coolant but no leaks

Hi guys, I'm new to the group and just bought 99 Camaro ss with 68k on it . I have only really beat on twice ( red line burn outs ) and it smells like coolant in the engine compartmet . I can't find any leaks up on my car hoist and it is not low con coolant . It is bone dry everywhere no oil leaks either but after running it hard it does smell like hot coolant and reaches 210f or so the fans do come on. Thank you for any advise
Old 10-15-2014, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there are several potential leak points, for me in a similiar scenario, could smell anti-freeze after driving, was losing about half a gallon a month (about 1,000-1,500 miles driven each month), eventual after several months it got worse on the coolant loss and I noticed the front of the k-member (by the steering rack) was wet, ended up being the water pump leaking from the weep hole due to failing seals.

this was only found after replacing the upper and lower radiator hoses and the lines feeding to the heater core, could also, tho very unlikely be the overflow tank leaking.

it took better then 6 months from the time I started smelling coolant till the seal failed bad enough to clearly see it was the water pump, the weep hole is behind the pulley.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I smell coolant on mine also right after i drive and then open the hood.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It occurs to me that if the system is working properly and you get coolant moving into the expansion/overflow tank, the air in said expansion tank has to go somewhere..and would smell like coolant.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Its most likely from the coolant overflow tank if you are using DEXCOOL<smelly nasty stuff. I always switch over to poly propylene coolant, that's the pet friendly stuff and its very low odor.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My diesel smells like coolant every time I run it hard and I never find a drip anywhere and it never is low. Drives me nuts but I deal with it. It has the newer Ford red stuff in it and I still have extended warranty so I'm stuck with it for a while.

What's the big deal on Dex over the green stuff anyway? Another Dupont patent run iht or what? Starting to feel like R12/R134.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

The newer ford stuff is dexcool<smelly nasty stuff.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have the radiator pressure tested. That should be a quick and easy test if there's a leaky coolant line.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my 2002 with about 70k started dripping coolant and leave a 2-3 ounce puddle on my garage floor. was the gaskets between the water pump and block. water pump best i could tell afterward was still good. the original oem gasket was a thin stamped metal type with an orange o-ring pressed in, kinda like what intake gaskets are. that's where mine would drip occasionally, not all the time. i ended up putting a new water pump on before i realized what was actually going on.
my recommendation would be to buy just the water pump gaskets, which will be the thicker 1/8" fiber type and just replace the gasket and see if that works. should only cost you $10 and an hour of your time, it's fairly easy.
the other easy thing to check is pull your battery out, then the coolant overflow tank and check for leaks where the plastic seams are. but my bet is it's the water pump to block gaskets.

Quick Reply: 1999 Camaro ls1 smells like coolant but no leaks