General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Way to test pressure test evap at home?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Way to test pressure test evap at home?

I have an 01 SS and recently replaced the fuel pump module with a racetronix one and started getting code p0442 small evap leak, when I replaced the module I puut in a new GM oring for it. So I replaced the cap with a NAPA one and different one off another car that was good and continue to get the code. So my I want to smoke test it or pressure test it at home and look for the leak with the car pulled apart is there a DIY method for it? I have had the tank out twice now so pulling it is not a big deal. I have checked all the visable connections to the evap hose and they are connected and tight.
Thanks
Old 01-05-2015, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Haddixj
I have an 01 SS and recently replaced the fuel pump module with a racetronix one and started getting code p0442 small evap leak, when I replaced the module I puut in a new GM oring for it. So I replaced the cap with a NAPA one and different one off another car that was good and continue to get the code. So my I want to smoke test it or pressure test it at home and look for the leak with the car pulled apart is there a DIY method for it? I have had the tank out twice now so pulling it is not a big deal. I have checked all the visable connections to the evap hose and they are connected and tight.
Thanks
How bout the purge solenoid at the intake and sensor on the top of the fuel tank?
Old 01-05-2015, 06:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

For about a year I was getting a P0442 small leak code. I used my ScanGaugeII to clear the code and get rid of the light. Sometimes it would come back in a few days and sometimes weeks. I did the smoke test and the leak was the Evaporative Emissions Canister Vent Solenoid Valve. Replaced the valve Dec.4 and it wasn't until Dec.22 that the computer declared evap system ready even though it passed emissions testing on Dec.5. All hoses were fine but I did replace the short hose to the valve since I had it out.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to find the leak, the local smog shop smoke tested the tank in and out of the car and we found the Oring for the fuel pump power and sender was bad and letting it leak. The car has a walboro pump fitted into the stock basket

just wanted to post a follow up in case anyone else has a similar issue

Quick Reply: Way to test pressure test evap at home?