General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

have to flush coolant to get heat back? Heat lasts about 2-3 months......

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default have to flush coolant to get heat back? Heat lasts about 2-3 months......

I have had this issue for QUITE some time. But, I tend to notice in the cold months that my heater isn't working, which the way to get it working again is to flush my coolant, and shoot water through the heater core. For a couple months it will blow good and warm, but will start to taper off again. I have felt both tubes going to the heater core before I flushed it, and neither felt warm. I'm wondering if it might be getting clogged up in there or something, and was hoping someone here might have had this problem, and know the fix. I don't think it has anything to do with vacuum, because the doors for the A/C move just like they're suppose to. My car is a 2000 with just over 200K miles, and the heater core has never been changed. Can these get blocked up, and slowly keep blocking off the flow of coolant, causing the loss of heat that I'm getting? It seems like the water comes out the other tube pretty good when I flush it, but something is going on. I appreciate any help!

Thanks guys!
Old 01-14-2015, 08:54 AM
On The Tree

Did I stump everybody on this one? I'm surprised I haven't gotten a response yet.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Probably is getting clogged and your flush temporarily clears it up. Id remove the heater core, flush the lines, and install a new one
Old 01-14-2015, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

The heater core and overflow tank are the coldest parts of the system. Crap in the system will always collect there. You need to flush it and keep it full. Any air trapped with dexcool will cause acids that eat insides of the engine cooling system. This is crap you see inside there. You probably have a small leak someplace.

I personally would dump the dexcool and go with the older type "green" coolant or even better go to nontoxic polypropylene glycol<best coolant you will ever use! You will never have a problem again. Trust me I never lie.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:17 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Its almost IMPOSSIBLE to clog any part of a cooling system to stop flow enough to make any difference in anything. It would have to be 15 year old Dexcool with power steering fluid in it..........BUT even then you would slowly see rising temps over a long period of time and you would know something is wrong WAY before the clog.

You probably have an issue with a collapsing hose or pinched hose.

Do this.......take both heater lines off the two water pump ports.......blow into one of them and see if the water/coolant blasts out of the other one easily and fast.......if it does the heater core is just fine and NOT clogged.

Its another issue that is keeping warm coolant from flowing into the core line......from the water pump.

Clogged coolant systems are pretty much NOT possible.........it takes a seriously disgusting load of old contaminated coolant to clog a system....or drop a rag in the radiator.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I disagree, I've seen plenty of partially clogged heater core with dexcool that didn't look that bad including one of my own. It looked fine in the rad but the heater core was partially blocked and the overflow had the dexcrap in it. I switched it over to propylene glycol and never had a problem with it again.

Its a known fact that the crap in a system always collects in the coolest points in the system. It basic physic's , trust me I've seen this many many many times.

don't make me school you like I did on your starter a few years ago................lmao

Last edited by RockinWs6; 01-15-2015 at 09:27 AM.

Quick Reply: have to flush coolant to get heat back? Heat lasts about 2-3 months......