General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Noise coming from engine on cold start? Rod Knock? Link to video!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 03:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise coming from engine on cold start? Rod Knock? Link to video!

2002 3.8l Pontiac Firebird
97,300 mi.
Alright so I know this page is for LS1s but I figured you guys would know more. About 4 days ago when starting my car I heard what sounded like knocking of some sort coming my engine. The noise lasted for about 10 min. before finally going away. Could it be rod knock? Someone said it could be a collapsed lifter or bad valve. What do you guys think it would be.

Link to noise coming from my car.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:32 AM
TECH Resident

Could be an exhaust leak?
Old 01-23-2015, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

Maybe so. How's the oil pressure? Worn bearings when the engine is up to temperature will cause low oil pressure.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Lifter noise....join the club........ that doesn't sound too bad. You should hear some of them, you want to shut it back off. GM doesn't know sheet about lifters, they flunked out on that course.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Lifter noise....join the club........ that doesn't sound too bad. You should hear some of them, you want to shut it back off. GM doesn't know sheet about lifters, they flunked out on that course.
Maybe so, but are ANY of the aftermarket ones out there ANY quieter at all??
(I am NOT talking about 'accuracy', or function, just NOISE. )

I know most on here HATE ON any and all aftermarket rocker arms, stating that the stockers (especially with the trunion upgrade mod) are better than all of the aftermarket ones (including the high buck, shaft mounted HS and such alloy ones), and good for 8500+ revs?
Old 01-25-2015, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How cold was it when you started the engine?
Old 01-25-2015, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh its a 3.8.. Pull that engine out and slap in a LS motor problem solved.. LOL!!!
My LS1 has a slight tick at cold start around 30 degrees or so, but I never drive the car till the motor is warm.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If the noise goes away then it isn't going to be rod knock. I've had both lifter noise and rod knock from a 3800 and they don't sound the same at all. Rod knock is a lower sounding thudding noise and it doesn't go away.

Could try doing some sort of treatment to the oil to free stuff up... Or just replace the lifters. What oil do you run? The manual calls for 10W-30 but if you read it closer that is only for warmer temperatures, and recommends 5W-30 for all temperature ranges. I switched to that (and went synthetic while at it) and it helped a fair bit with cold weather starts and oil flow.

You should have heard my old 3800 when 5 lifters all started collapsing and some were really bad. It barely idled the first 30 seconds or so until they pumped up enough, then another several minutes before they shut up. New lifters and all was ok... well until it blew a rod bearing later that year. That engine.. scratch that the whole car had been abused before I got it.

Quick Reply: Noise coming from engine on cold start? Rod Knock? Link to video!