General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Belt Squeal from a '99 Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 07:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt Squeal from a '99 Trans Am

Hey everyone,

Just yesterday, I was driving home from the park and before I took off. I was letting the car reach a bit over a 100 degrees (car has been sitting for 8 hours and I like to let it warm up before taking off so I can let the engine be lubricated well enough to drive away). When I was driving off, I heard a loud squeal. As I was accelerating, the squeal got louder & louder and when I finally got 210 degrees, the squeal went away for remainder of the drive home. I got home and poped open the hood and started looking around making sure everything looks good (mainly the belt). I noticed that the belt tensioner pulley was wobbling while idling and I gave it gas and the wobble got a bit worse. Before I had this problem I changed the serpentine belt two weeks ago. I've been having this problem since yesterday and I have gut feeling it's the idler tensioner pulley by the throttle body; the squeal only happens at cold start and idle before reaching operating temperatures (210 degrees). Any ideas and opinions are helpful.

Thank You

Last edited by LTX_Alex; 04-27-2015 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:05 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LTX_Alex
Hey everyone,

Just yesterday, I was driving home from the park and before I took off, I was letting the car reach a bit over a 100 degrees (car has been sitting for 8 hours and I like to let it warm up before taking off so I can let the engine be lubricated well enough to drive away). When I was driving off, I heard a loud squeal. As I was accelerating, the squeal got louder & louder and when I finally got 210 degrees, the squeal went away for remainder of the drive home. I got home and poped open the hood and started looking around making sure everything looks good (mainly the belt). I noticed that the belt tensioner pulley was wobbling while idling and I gave it gas and the wobble got a bit worse. Before I had this problem I changed the serpentine belt two weeks ago. I've been having this problem since yesterday and I have gut feeling it's the idler tensioner pulley by the throttle body; the squeal only happens at cold start and idle before reaching operating temperatures (210 degrees). Any ideas and opinions are helpful.

Thank You
Spray the suspect pulley with water while squealing, if it stops then you found the problem. If it has a visible wobble I would think you probably already found the issue, first check to make sure the mounting bolts aren't loose and then replace it.

You can also remove the air conditioning system belt and leave the main belt to confirm it is on the main belt system.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by s7ven
Spray the suspect pulley with water while squealing, if it stops then you found the problem. If it has a visible wobble I would think you probably already found the issue, first check to make sure the mounting bolts aren't loose and then replace it.

You can also remove the air conditioning system belt and leave the main belt to confirm it is on the main belt system.
Alright, I'll try that first see & were it leads.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:48 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Dude, if the tensioner is wobbling, replace the tensioner as soon as you can. I had mine break off going down the interstate 300 miles from home. it's not worth the risk of damage. I'm still amazed I didn't ruin my engine.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

what was the fix for this , if your pulley or tensioner was moving at idle imagine how bad it is when driving .
Old 05-12-2015, 06:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
what was the fix for this , if your pulley or tensioner was moving at idle imagine how bad it is when driving .
I found my problem, it's the A/C tensioner pully. It does not squeak at all from the top of the. It's mainly at the bottom.

Quick Reply: Belt Squeal from a '99 Trans Am