General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Someone smarter than me needed, starter /electrical issue!

Old 05-12-2015, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone smarter than me needed, starter /electrical issue!

Cant really narrow down what I need on search, so here goes. Hopefully someone with some electrical knowledge etc can really help me out.

02 Z28, battery is only few months old, but starter is original. I moved car last week, and next day went to move it back to garage and it wouldnt start.

No headlight dimming while attempting to start, nor guage issues (all moved normally), no interior light dimming. Tried to jump start once, no luck. Heard a single "click" coming from under car during key turn. Swapped IGN and Starter relays with fan relays (same size, etc) with no avail. Took starter to be tested and it tested fine (though Autozone said it may only be good cause its not under load).

Took home, put back on car...EXCEPT....I screwed up, I reconnected starter without disconnected battery cables, so.....of course I got the sparks a few times. Disconnected battery, reconnected starter (the right way) and now I get absolutely nothing. No gauge needle movement, no lights, no click, no nothing.

I was hoping that maybe it was the VATS system, since I had spare key to try where the chip in the key is much newer but I never got the chance due to my error in reinstalling starter so.......

Where do I go from here? Did I burn the starter up? or perhaps it was already shot. Disable VATS then try new starter? Definitely lost here. I appreciate any and all help since this is my only vehicle at the moment. Thank you.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:15 AM
Teching In

130 views and no one has any idea??
Old 05-14-2015, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BlackedOutLS1
Cant really narrow down what I need on search, so here goes. Hopefully someone with some electrical knowledge etc can really help me out.

02 Z28, battery is only few months old, but starter is original. I moved car last week, and next day went to move it back to garage and it wouldnt start.

No headlight dimming while attempting to start, nor guage issues (all moved normally), no interior light dimming. Tried to jump start once, no luck. Heard a single "click" coming from under car during key turn. Swapped IGN and Starter relays with fan relays (same size, etc) with no avail. Took starter to be tested and it tested fine (though Autozone said it may only be good cause its not under load).

Took home, put back on car...EXCEPT....I screwed up, I reconnected starter without disconnected battery cables, so.....of course I got the sparks a few times. Disconnected battery, reconnected starter (the right way) and now I get absolutely nothing. No gauge needle movement, no lights, no click, no nothing.

I was hoping that maybe it was the VATS system, since I had spare key to try where the chip in the key is much newer but I never got the chance due to my error in reinstalling starter so.......

Where do I go from here? Did I burn the starter up? or perhaps it was already shot. Disable VATS then try new starter? Definitely lost here. I appreciate any and all help since this is my only vehicle at the moment. Thank you.
The chip in the key may not be the problem. I had a similar problem and tried the VATS bypass only to find out it was my BCM that was going. I wound up (through search) bypassing the starter relay from the BCM and tuning out VATS from the computer. There is a wire under the fuse block in the engine compartment that you have to ground out to the body in order to bypass the starter relay. See this post about which wire to ground https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-l...ypass-bcm.html. You will still have to disable VATS in the PCM. If you have hptuners or efilive this can be done easily. This is where I would start since it costs nothing if you already have the tuning software. Obviously have the starter checked as well but this sounds like a BCM issue to me.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could have killed the battery by shorting it out when installing the starter, I know the starter is hooked directly to the battery and its possible you might have burned a connection to the battery, maybe try reconnecting the battery terminals and check the voltage coming out of the battery. hopefully you didn't sparks were not from the starter relay trigger wire otherwise you could have bigger problems but that could have just popped an ignition fuse or something.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:30 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Considering the chain of events, I'm surprised you haven't checked your fuses. When you sparked up things at the starter, you potentially blew one or more fuses.

Next you need to check the battery for proper voltage. Something else that wasn't mentioned is your alternator. Even if the battery is only a few months old, a bad alternator that's not charging it well enough can allow the battery voltage to drop to un-startable levels before too long. You will likely have more than enough power for lights and gauges but not nearly enough to engage the starter. As for it not starting on a jump, with a battery that low on power, I've had to let the jumper car sit for a good 5-10 minutes running before it got to the point that it would allow the dead car to crank.

Also, checking and cleaning connecters at the battery is a good idea.

So, check battery voltage. Check and clean battery cables. Check fuses. Have the alternator tested when you can, even if you get things up and running. The test is free at most auto parts stores and takes like 2 minutes.

If the battery does test very low, recharge it and get the alternator tested.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:46 AM
Launching!

Yes i bet it's a fuse. The one labeled PWR ACCY on the side of the dash on drivers side in particular. Let us know what you find.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:40 AM
Teching In

Check fuse's
Old 05-22-2015, 07:48 PM
Teching In

Thank you all for replies. I'll get started tomorrow morning. Definitely my error in not disconnecting battery first, I guess taking starter out to get tested I just got lucky not touching anything but putting back in.....no so much.

I'll post what I find.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:45 AM
Teching In

Follow up to suggestions. Checked battery and its good. Found a blown 50amp ignition fuse in the block under the hood. Replaced it and and the Starter relay, after which I heard clicking from underneath around starter...then that fuse blew. So back to square one. Any thoughts??
Old 05-28-2015, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackedOutLS1
Follow up to suggestions. Checked battery and its good. Found a blown 50amp ignition fuse in the block under the hood. Replaced it and and the Starter relay, after which I heard clicking from underneath around starter...then that fuse blew. So back to square one. Any thoughts??
starter fuse blew? did it blow as soon as you replaced the other fuse? or when you went to crank it? If it blew right after you replaced the other fuse the starter could be causing a short and will need to be replaced or have the cables checked.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:03 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, it does sound like an internal short of the starter. Of course I won't guarantee that, but to me that's what it sounds like and that's how I would treat it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Someone smarter than me needed, starter /electrical issue!