General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

My AC is blowing warmish air

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default My AC is blowing warmish air

My AC is blowing warmish air

when engine is running I turn AC on and do observe the compressers cluch come on.

car is 99TA back in 2002 when I installed the cam I emptied the freeon and removed the condenser then had the AC man refill the sys. since then I haven;t done anything to AC sys.
I don't drive this car much between 2002 and now however I want to start driving it daily.
I checked the valve at the dryer and it appears there is to much freeon in the sys it's way over in the red section. see image.
it's getting kindof hot so AC would be nice, please suggest what I should do next.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails My AC is blowing warmish air-achigh.jpg  
Old 05-31-2015, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to put a proper A/C Manifold gauge set on it. That little guy isn't tell you much.

Without seeing the high side (and knowing the ambient conditions; refrigerant pressure is highly dependent on outside air temps) we don't know if the system is over charged (very very unlikely unless you added more R134a since 2002), if the Compressor isn't compressing, or if you have a clogged orifice tube (or another part of the system).

If that gauge is with the compressor running, I'd be leaning to a failing compressor. That is not a very detailed picture so I can't tell what pressure the gauge is pointing to, but assuming 75-ish PSI that would mean your cold side of your AC system is only getting to about 70-80°F. It should be closer to 35-45psi. You could try and discharge the system a bit, but that would remove refrigerant and oil from the system and could make things worse (even if they do temporarily make it better/cooler).

Do you have a friend that does AC? If so, get his gauges on it and check system pressures (both sides) with the system off, then running.

I wish I could give you more information, but the numbers you are looking for depend on how hot it is where you are at.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

update initial mearsurement in the red was at 100PSI w/ engine off. and AC button turned off.
when I turned engine on and turned AC on the mearsurement was just below 25PSI in the white section just outside the green section.

outside temp. is around 90 degree's. very hot.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails My AC is blowing warmish air-achigh.jpg  

Last edited by badmfkr; 05-31-2015 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by badmfkr
update initial mearsurement in the red was at 100PSI w/ engine off. and AC button turned off.
when I turned engine on and turned AC on the mearsurement was just below 25PSI in the white section just outside the green section.

outside temp. is around 90 degree's. very hot.

Thanks
You're just low. Shoot a can in there.

Last edited by TA_Freak; 05-31-2015 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok how many OZ's should I add?

I bought the 28OZ can and the meter, I also bought the small can I think was 12OZ. should I just add both while watching the meter?

thanks
Old 05-31-2015, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Ok how many OZ's should I add?

I bought the 28OZ can and the meter, I also bought the small can I think was 12OZ. should I just add both while watching the meter?

thanks
I would add the small can to start with. At 25 psi you're right at 10 psi low. I'd shoot for 35-40 psi while reving it a bit (1k or so).
Old 06-02-2015, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

update I connected the 12OZ can and was only able to add maybe 3PSI, I went from 25 to probablley 28 then the sys decided to not intake any more freeon.
I increased the RPM the 1K still it would'nt accept more freeon. this process's time duration was 10 minutes, the outside temp. was around 90 degree's.

when I dissconnected the freeon tube from the dryer it felt like the freeon cannister was still full when I shook the can.
anyway I still have warmish AC.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:33 AM
TECH Addict

update I connected the 12OZ can and was only able to add maybe 3PSI, I went from 25 to probablley 28 then the sys decided to not intake any more freeon.
I increased the RPM the 1K still it would'nt accept more freeon. this process's time duration was 10 minutes, the outside temp. was around 90 degree's.

when I dissconnected the freeon tube from the dryer it felt like the freeon cannister was still full when I shook the can.
anyway I still have warmish AC.
Did you try the other can?
Old 06-03-2015, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

not tried the other can the 12OZ small can seams like it's still full when I shake it.

if I remove the dispenser the contents will shoot out the can.

do I have to hold the can upsidedown?

how long doe's it take for the compresser to suck in all the 12OZs?
Old 06-03-2015, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine is doing the same thing when i tried ac pro. mine stays on the red when car is on and ac blowing at max.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:40 AM
TECH Addict

Default My AC is blowing warmish air

Originally Posted by Killer_Z
mine is doing the same thing when i tried ac pro. mine stays on the red when car is on and ac blowing at max.
You have a different problem. What's the high side read? Is the compressor actually spinning?

not tried the other can the 12OZ small can seams like it's still full when I shake it.

if I remove the dispenser the contents will shoot out the can.

do I have to hold the can upsidedown?

how long doe's it take for the compresser to suck in all the 12OZs?
Yes you should the can upside down. You don't have to, but it will take longer.

Quick Reply: My AC is blowing warmish air