General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C Issue - New Parts etc.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 04:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A/C Issue - New Parts etc.

Alright, just replaced every single part on my A/C setup, down to the pressure sensor even, however my results have not changed, the compressor just will not kick on.

All new parts, tried to turn the car on, set it to MAX A/C, put a small bit of 134a in it, compressor doesn't kick in.

Tested the connector, it was showing only 0.14-0.15v, then after i put some 134a in it, it shot up to alternator/battery voltage of 12-13v+, but I assume that's not the voltage needed to power the compressor? What is the voltage needed to kick on the clutch, if it is 12-13v then maybe it's possible I was sold a dud compressor brand new.

I was only able to get about 60 psi in it but of course without the compressor kicking in, it doesn't really do any good. I've tested everything I could, don't have any codes and I'm not sure what it is but it's hot.

The closest thread I have seen to my issue is here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...ce-issues.html

I thought about doing what he tried and using a different 5v reference and seeing if the compressor cuts on.

Steps taken:
1) Filled NEW compressor with Oil
2) Installed all new parts
3) Pulled vacuum
4) Added a small bit of 134a
5) Compressor never cuts on
6) Getting 12-13v+ at the wire

Any help appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails A/C Issue - New Parts etc.-img_20150614_031722.jpg  
Old 06-14-2015, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

If someone can just confirm that the 12-13v from the battery is what is needed to engage the clutch and not some strange 5v or something (to the compressor), I'll pull the compressor and take it back because it sounds to me like I got a compressor that was DOA and I'm pissed lol.

Thanks.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

With a DMM if you have 12V at the compressor clutch connector the clutch should cycle on. Check with your leads on the green wire and black wire at the connector if it shows 12V+ this verifies you have power and ground. Check to see if the clutch coil shows a open circuit using the ohmeter if so then it's def DOA.

Use a mirror and be sure you did not bend a pin to the side when installing the connector if the connector does not start correctly and you force it down it will bend a pin flatter than a pancake every time.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the reply. It turns out that there was an issue with the connector. Even after rebuilding the connector itself using another new connector I had laying around, I had to push the wires into the connector after it was connected to the compressor to get a good connection. It seems to be working good now, just need to top off the freon tomorrow and should be good to go.

Basically I was able to measure the 13v when I pulled the connector but there was a splice somewhere in the wire that when it was plugged into the compressor while installed, it couldn't get a connection in that position which is why the compressor never engaged.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

FYI, replaced the pressure sensor (I think I already stated this) but the problem came down to a bad a/c connector pig tail. Oreilly's has one for $10, got the job done.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike96z
If someone can just confirm that the 12-13v from the battery is what is needed to engage the clutch and not some strange 5v or something (to the compressor), I'll pull the compressor and take it back because it sounds to me like I got a compressor that was DOA and I'm pissed lol.

Thanks.
Absolutely correct. 12v+ will engage the compressor clutch.

Quick Reply: A/C Issue - New Parts etc.