General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

2002 Trans Am won't start, at a loss

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Trans Am won't start, at a loss

A little history. I have a 2002 T/A and several months ago the security light came on. Started playing with it a little and found out that the security system ended up being Fault Enabled which is a good thing, except for the stupid security light was on all the time. So as time went on, the car never had an issue with starting. My cousin, who's a mechanic, needed some money so I let him go ahead and switch out the ignition switch. Problem solved and the security light was off. Couple months later it begins not starting (with NO security light). If you let it sit for a few minutes or move the steering wheel up and town, most of the time it might start. Went ahead and pulled the steering wheel apart and removed the ignition switch and checked for pinches on the wires (along with continuity), checked out fine. I put it back together and said screw it and went ahead and applied the VATS bypass (I've done this before on an older 2000 T/A I had). When I started this process the car would not start no matter what I did. So I found the right combo of resistors (9,500) and got it started. Removed the resistor and it wouldn't start (as it shouldn't), reapplied and checked, started again. Good, thought I had it licked. Later on I drove the wife to a baby shower and when I came out and hour later and once again it wouldn't start (no security light). Sat for several minutes trying different things until it finally started. I'm at a loss now, anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by hoss1059; 06-28-2015 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:55 AM
Teching In

Almost 150 views and not one person has any idea?
Old 06-28-2015, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

when it does start, is it a hard start or does it turn right over? i had an issue where where my car would randomly not start. sometimes it would fire right up, sometimes it was a hard start or wouldn't start at all. i checked grounds, replaced the battery (twice since autozone sold me a bad one at first. turned out my starter was on it's way out. while i waited for my new one to show up i had to carry a little hammer in the car to hit the starter with when it decided it wouldn't start. turned over every time. just something to check.....
Old 06-28-2015, 10:39 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the response. No, it starts fine. I've been reading up some more and saw something about a theft deterrent relay TDR but I'm unsure if this vehicle has that because people were having an issue as to where is was located. Plus it might be on the older vehicles, hard to tell from what I found so far. There is also the TDM. I'm unfamiliar though with that part of the system.

Quick Reply: 2002 Trans Am won't start, at a loss