General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Starter broke, replaced it, now it wont crank

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 08:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Starter broke, replaced it, now it wont crank

So a couple of weeks ago I went to start my car before work and it cranked for a second, made a loud grinding noise, then wouldn't turn over. I pulled the starter out and noticed the hole where the shorter bolt goes through broke clean off.

I bought a new ac delco starter and it still wont turn over and makes a loud thud and wont do anything. This starter cracked in the same spot (right near the short bolt hole) after my dad recommended that I try loosening the starter a hair, trying that then shimming the starter if it didn't work.

I inspected the all of the teeth on the flexplate and they all look fine, as well as the part of the block where the starter mounts, and didn't see any cracks.

Any idea what could be the cause / fix for this??

I don't know if this has any impact on things, but after i put the new starter was my brother hooked up the battery and accidentally arched the positive and negative terminals. The battery is an optima red top fwiw.

Last edited by mjs1012; 07-02-2015 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you tried to turn the motor by hand? Put a socket on the crank and try it. If the old starter broke and the new one did the same thing it sounds like the motor might be locked up. The immense torque of the starter can't turn the motor so the next weekest link breaks, in this case it's the starter casing.Did it rain recently at all?
Old 07-02-2015, 06:39 PM
TECH Addict

Yes I tried turning the motor over by hand and it rotated just fine. I tried jumping the car and the first crank it seemed like it wanted turn over then stopped, then after that it didn't do anything besides make some clunking noise.

And yes it has rained recently as well.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:12 AM
TECH Veteran

ok i asked if it rained because it is common for the cowl to leak water and that water to then leak past the intake and into the cylinders. did you get the motor to make at least 1 complete revolution to absolutely rule out any interference? if so the only thing i could recommend it checking the battery and getting antother starter. but that really doesnt sound like an issue
Old 07-12-2015, 08:59 AM
TECH Addict

Just an update, I put a new starter in and the car started to crank then stopped. I pulled the starter out again and noticed the flexplate had a section where the zinc coating was worn away on the front (sfi flexplate). I inspected all the teeth on the flexplate and they looked fine. I'm starting to think the flexplate is possibly bent and the transmission will need to come out so I can check it.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:26 PM
TECH Veteran

If the starter turned the motor half a turn and then stopped how could you have turned it over by hand with complete revolutions? Something is stopping it from spinning, I don't think it's the flex plate.

Take out the plugs and then rotate the engine over a few revolutions with a. Wrench and see
Old 07-12-2015, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by redbird555
If the starter turned the motor half a turn and then stopped how could you have turned it over by hand with complete revolutions? Something is stopping it from spinning, I don't think it's the flex plate.

Take out the plugs and then rotate the engine over a few revolutions with a. Wrench and see
I took the plugs out and pulled the valve covers and turned it over by hand and didn't notice anything out if the ordinary. I'm going to have my buddy who's a mechanic stop over tomorrow and see what he thinks.

Quick Reply: Starter broke, replaced it, now it wont crank